I clipped Pigeons wings!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well My white scovie hen fklew home today, so I ran insdie and got some scissors and did the deed. I cried a little. Her feathers are jsut so pretty.. But she also told me that they were pretty and she did not appriciate me cutting them. How do I know this? No, I dont speak duck but I have some pretty new scratches all over my hands and arms [​IMG]

Ok - SO I know this is mediocre, but how is it fro my first time??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I lost 3 peking and a muskov before I decided to clip wings. I'm glad she came home. Its a nessecary evil to protect them. There are just to many hunters man and animal for them to be safe flying anyplace. except in the yard. Glad she returned, God Bless!

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    [​IMG] you've got feathers growing out of your stomach [​IMG] ...but clipping her wings is for the better.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:OMGEEZ!! NO WAY! Im like a miracle!! Wait... that means I clipped my own wings [​IMG]

1ploock How could you let me do that?!?! WHo knows how long its going to take me to grow those back!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    hahah [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    aww [​IMG] lol I never ever clip wings. I had 14 muscovys sleeping on our roof earlier this spring. They scared me many times thinking they were gone. I have 3 white hens and a drake and they were sitting on our roof I walked out they seen me and split. They flew to a field 4 blocks away that has cows and buffalo. I walked down there and they were as happy as can be. I walked near them and they flew home it is amazing seeing something SO big fly like that! I miss having Muscovys. I have never had one never come back or land in the wrong yard. Only that field.

Ryan

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I know she didn't like it BUT.... she's safer being close to home than ranging the neighborhood. You may not need to clip her wing a second time. Once the girls start laying & brooding they get enough weight on them that even when they molt out they don't fly much above 4-5' up and 10-20 out. My Charlotte regularly flies over the chook yard fence to lay an egg in the chook coop nest boxes but she's not on the house roof or flying over to the neighbors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by