1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Corrected the Great Jack Hanna.. Hope He Isn't Mad! * Got a Reply*

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by speckledhen, Dec 31, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Watched a show of his in which a group of guineas was being chased across a field by a dog playfully. He said something about a "group of guinea hens". [​IMG] Now, I expect more of the great Jack Hanna! No way he should be calling the entire species "guinea hens" so I emailed him, complimented him on his shows, then gently corrected him by telling him the proper term was guinea fowl, that only the females were hens, the males were cocks and no one could tell the sex of a group of them running in the distance like that, though I realize many folks make that mistake. Then, I of course, wished him a fabulous 2012. Hope he isn't mad! Sorry, couldn't let it slide from someone like Jack Hanna, of all people, who really should know this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Too funny! It will be interesting to see if he answers you.

3. speckledhen

And I signed it with my name and "Moderator, Backyardchickens.com". Maybe Nifty will get some publicity out of it. [​IMG]

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Just ask if he says "peacocks", too. [​IMG] You may have just gotten yourself a new pen pal!

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What if they all were actually hens? I haven't seen the show, so I am just asking [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

They were running in across a field in the distance and there is NO way he could tell if they were male or female or a mix of the two. This was on someone else's preserve, not his.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Could he have known in advance that they were a group of hens maybe?

I'd like to hear his response [​IMG] Keep us posted!

8. speckledhen

I'm betting he just fell into the bad habit of calling all guineas "guinea hens". Will let you know if he admits he made a mistake or if he answers at all.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    That is awesome...good for you!!!!!! I can't wait to hear if he responds! [​IMG]

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I guess thats like 95% of people saying they need to "worm" an animal. Why would you give an animal worms? I like to "deworm" my animals! [​IMG] I also raise pea fowl, you really don't want to correct everybody who calls a hen a peacock because thats how you would spend all your time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by