1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I could just throw myself on the ground screaming and kicking my feet!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hen_House_Rocks!, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Okay, this is a rant in case the title didn't give it away.

I HATE MY HEATED WATERER!!!!

I dont' know what brand it is since I peeled the sticker off after I bought it. But! Every time I fill it up, the top slips off the base when I flip it over and all the water pours out. All over me and all over the run. And it's cold here. (A hight of 20 degrees today.) Man I'm ticked!

If I hadn't spent $45 on it, I swear I'd beat it to pieces with a shovel!!!!

The most aggravating thing is that when my husband flips it for me, he has no problems at all.

I HATE having to rely on someone else to do something that I should be able to do for myself!!

Sorry! Rant over! I feel much better now. [​IMG]

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate mine too, I use it for the barn cats and gave the hens a heated dog bowl. Much easier.

Is yours the metal kind? If so, clicking the top to the base over that metal spike is very hard, the thing is so heavy by then, though there is one that can have the base filled and then the top clicks on.

If plastic, check the rubber gasket and grease it with vaseline- it improves the seal so that when you tighten it you don;t have to rely on strength.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    this might help, when you flip check where the hole is the water comes out of and place that opposite side the you flip, when i flip I hold the bottom till I start to get it upright

4. Hen_House_Rocks!

Jul 30, 2009
    It's plastic. The problem is that the top twists into place on the base, and somehow it twists off when I flip it. The plastic is very flimsy. Aggravating you know what!

5. cowgirl4124

cowgirl4124 New Egg

Jul 6, 2009
    Hey I even hate those large summer waters. I use a large blue plastic heated dog or stock bowl. much easier. in the summer I have rubber feed bowls filled up out in the yard.

6. LynneP

Is there a rubber gasket inside where the two pieces fit together?

7. Hen_House_Rocks!

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:No, there is no gasket. That would surely make for a tighter fit if there were, though.

I should have just bought them the $15 heated dog bowl that was right next to it on the shelf! So what if they pooped in it. I'd rather clean a waterer every day then soak myself every three days!

8. LynneP

Maybe the gasket is missing? I'd ask at the store.

I do think you'd like the heated dog bowl better.
    I like mine so much that I bought a spare for my next flock.

And if you put it in a rubber stock bowl the cleanup is a breeze. The birds will perch for the most part on the rubber, and adult hens don;t mess as thoughtlessly as young ones.[​IMG]

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    there is no gasket in those waters, what i sometimes do if one falls apart alot is take some caulk and put a dot or 2 on next to the wings/flanges to stop it from coming apart, but not so much that i can't get it apart when I need to to clean

when you have a lot of chickens the dog bowl doesn't work they poop in it and fight over it plus your filling it all the time 2-3 times a day, when your not home its impractial

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by