I could use some advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by tamelroy, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tamelroy

tamelroy Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    I did a post about my chickens dying don't know if it is posion or what. Any way I am killing the flock and gonna build a whole new coop on the other side of my yard.

I am looking for BA, EE, where can I get them this late in the year without spending a fortune? I live in MA, so if anyone out here has any too, could you let me know.

Thanks guys!

Tracy

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you wanted to start with chicks, most hatcheries have very good sales this time of year. I haven't checked with mypetchicken.com yet, but last year they had 25-pullet specials (BR, RIR, EE, or rainbow layers) for about $42 shipped. I had 3 BA in my order, but no EE unfortunately. Mostly it was brown and white leghorns and silver-laced wyandottes, but I got them to raise and sell, so it didn't really matter [​IMG]

3. tamelroy

tamelroy Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    Mass
    Thanks, I just don't want leghorns or RIR's. Every where I have checked it is about $70. And part of me is still scared to go this route. This year was the first I ever ordered and had them shipped (I usually go to the store) And I lost almost every one. I have been doing this for 3 years now and this year was the worse, and for the life of me I can't figure out what is going wrong. I might just wait until next year, but I hate to go that long and have to buy eggs in the store.

Do you know how I can find out if there is anyone in MA w/chickens they might want to sell?

Thanks again for your help!

Tracy

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/SALE-ITEMS-c51.aspx

Mypetchicken's
    is 47.50 right now, and that includes shipping. They have BR, RIR, and the rainbow layers on their special currently. You can always request to not get certain breeds, though I don't know how well they honor those requests. In mine last year I got BA, SLW, dominiques, brown and white leghorns, and 1 NHR.

As for people in MA with chickens, have you checked the 'Where am I? Where are you?' forum? If there is a MA thread (there should be) you can ask there if anyone near you has some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: