I could use some cheering up.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Smartie_Pants, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    [​IMG]

I'm just really frustrated, hurt, and sad right now. My passion is, and always has been, caring for hurt or orphaned animals. My mom is always okay with it... at first. Like yesterday, we are going to town and see a chicken laying in the road. She slammed on the brakes and I jumped out because it was still alive. It has a broken leg, and the owners let me take it to care for it. She helped me and was happy about it yesterday. She even went and bought me soft cast so I could set it and cast it. Now she's yelling and cussing, mad because the chicken is in the house. She's mad because its poop smells and now she's just raving that this house isn't a barn and this crap (not exactly the word she used) is not going to happen.

This is my passion, and she goes along with it until it isn't fun anymore, then she gets mad and jumps all over me. She gave me permission to go to the flea market tomorrow and look for a few muscovies ducklings. (4 at the most is all I want to get.) Now she's telling me if I buy any they CAN NOT come into the house for any reason. I told her they have to, because it gets below 60 here at night, and the highs have only been about 65.

The other night I was sick and in bed, and asked her to put my ducks up. They wouldn't go right in so she came in and said she wasn't going to chase them and that they would just say out. I was to sick to get up, so I couldn't do anything. The next morning she hears the dogs going crazy outside, but doesn't want to go outside and check. When she finally did, she found that they had been attacked by a coyote! But then, she wound up taking off from work and going with me to the vet. She even paid the 80 bill they charged to sew the duck up!

She isn't like that all the time, which is what gets me. Its more like in swings. Like just now she went in to check on the hen and was talking to her. I just don't know why! [​IMG] I don't understand why she goes off, then goes back to normal. I do all the work, clean the cages, doctor the animals, buy the food, etc. it just bothers her that they are in here. Anyone else have trouble getting their parents, husbands, wife, SO, etc. to be okay with it?

Sorry, just had to rant. [​IMG] I feel better now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I'm so sorry about that. All people have a less-than-nice side I suppose.

3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Maybe she is feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes kids aren't fully aware of all the stuff their parents are dealing with.

My first thought was that her heart is in the right place, but maybe she has something stressing her out and it doesn't take much to push her over the edge.

Hang in there.

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I know what is stressing her out. It's her co-worker. The woman is a schitzophrenic, and is insanely jealous of my mom and her boyfriend for some reason. She makes things as hard as she can on my mom, smarts off, and tries to get her in trouble. No one takes the woman seriously and tells my mom to just try and stay away from her as much as possible and not let it get to her.

I guess I kinda get where she is coming from, but she shouldn't take it out on me.

5. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:You're absolutely right. She shouldn't take it out on you. Unfortunately, children are often the recipients of their parents' misdirected anger.

I wish I had some sage advice for you. For what it is worth, I think she is pretty lucky to have you.

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I don't know about your Mom's personal life, but she sounds a bit hormonal to me! Is this all the time or does she suffer from PMS?

Also, depression can have mood swings like you describeand so can anger issues, but I can't really give you any advise on a message board. I hope you can forgive your Mom - I'm sure one day you'll understand, but no - it's still doesn't make it right. Sorry.

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    [​IMG] I was the target of my mother's misdirected anger for years. I still am, from time to time, for that matter. It's never an easy thing to deal with, but hang in there... It will get less and less frequent as years go on.

You're doing great things, and your heart is in the right palce. I'm sure your mother knows that, even though it doesn't seem like it right now.

Chin up girl, you're an awesome person. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am wondering if she is of the age of the start of menopause. Mood swings are a classic symptom.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] That is for letting me know I am not alone. Smartie Pants, there are several of us with mother issues.

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I was wondering the same thing.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by