I could use some good advice..... how do i know if my duck is in pain...

rockyhranch

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2016
My duck was born last night at around 1:30 am.... she has an unabsorbed yolk. I've been holding her all day today...she slept most of the day hasn't eaten or drank. The last hour tho she popped her little sack...and since then she keeps acting like shes trying to crawl away from it...I think she might be in pain. I don't want her to suffer. I thought she was going to make it but no yolk absorbed, and shes clearly starting to look uncomfotable. I want to be humane and end her life if shes going to die... but i don't want to end her life if she can make it and i'm really feeling torn on what to do. I'm super attached already and just looking for some good advice. Please if you've been in this situation, what did you do? how did you know when it was time to let them go, and how do you know if they're going to make it? What are the signs your duck is in pain... please help. Thank you.

You may be able to set her up in a stable container with a moist paper towel around her . . . not over her head, but around her body.

@Lacrystol @casportpony @Orca5094 @duckyfromoz

Last edited:
i have her in one and she literally keeps trying to crawl up and out of it, she can't but just over and over and over which is making me feel like shes trying to crawl away from the pain on her abdomen....

Ducklings can be very active after hatching... it is difficult to know. But the people I tagged have lots of experience. You may want to PM them.

There is also a hatching forum on BYC - you might try there. Or try posting on the Call Ducks Hatched thread on the Duck Forum.

thank you. I've had ducks for a few years, just never been through anything like this. :( its killing me. lol Mother natures really giving me a lesson, idk what the lesson is yet....but i better learn something great out of this!

hugs.gif

How is the duckling now? I don't think it's a pain response, just the duckling trying to get it's feet under it and find "mom" to snuggle up with. They are very awkward their first day of life.

Now I'll be honest: It's not usually a good prognoses when they hatch with the yolk sac unabsorbed. They often don't make it. This is more common when the duckling is helped out because it's often done too early. Also, some mistakes were made after it hatched, like it should have been left in the incubator in a cup with extra humidity to help it finish absorbing the yolk sac and try to prevent it from being broken. Nothing to do about that now, but that is one thing you can take away from this experience. Incubation and hatching is definitely a learning experience, which will get better with each difficult case like this. ;)

Anyway, let us know how the duckling is doing. If you can post a picture of the duckling and what is left of the yolk sac, that would also be helpful.

Thank you! The ducky is a trooper! I'm starting to think she's going to make it. I don't have an incubator... This duck came from her mama out side in her nest and hatched on her own I probably should have clarified that in this post. I have her on a damp cloth but her sac from the yolk is still starting to dry out quite a bit. Is this the goal or do I want to keep it moist? She's moving around alot this morning much more then yesterday sure hope this is a good sign..... Day two! Here we come!

Last edited:
I'll take a picture once she's up and about She just fell back asleep while I was getting my camera lol. I say she...but I'm sure you know I have no idea if she's a he or not. Her little aac is definitely drying out tho not sure I can rehydrate it back to where she could absorb anymore. It's starting to look sore around the edges where it meets her skin do you think I could put lanolin on it? It's what some women put on their breasts when starting to nurse for the rawness that happens. That's all o can think of to put on her skin at the area the sac is drying. The fantastic news is she ate and drank today a lot this morning finally. That was a big relief.

Back
Top Bottom