I couldn't live with myself if i didn't try!!! silkie illness

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kellyloveschad, Nov 6, 2016.

1. kellyloveschad

kellyloveschad Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    This is sleeping beauty who was perfectly heathy until a few days ago!! It started as holding her foot up like she stepped on something!!! note I put my flock on antibiotics for a sneeze not really bad but its getting cold! She eats drinks and has normal poop not to be nasty but textbook perfect poop!!!! but she cant keep her balance! symptoms are not as bad at night I have her in a dog run alone she end up on her back I flip her over she put her wings down get balanced stands up and walks around until she fall again!!! my husband wants to put her down but she is fighting so hard to live!! and I couldn't live with myself if this is something easy that I am just missing!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    This could be disease/illness rather than a simple injury... Keep her away from your other birds (as you're doing). Silkies are notoriously suspectible to Marek's Disease so it's always a possibility. Are your birds vaccinated?

Has her diet changed? Laying pattern?

3. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    She hasn't started laying yet, I had my breeder come over and she said its not marek's because she doesn't have any signs other then lose of balance!! her eyes dilate she eats drinks her crop is still works!!

4. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    OK does anyone know If mites could be the cause of my silkie hens mysterious balance issues?? she all the sudden couldn't stand a few days ago she eats and drinks fine!! I got ahold of my breeder because I didn't know what to do she asked for a photo of her eyes!! I seen a bunch if white specks then I realized they where mites!!!

5. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Parasites could definitely be causing health issues. I would treat immediately - this bird, the others birds, and your coop.

6. kellyloveschad

Apr 10, 2016
    south bend
    what would be the best course of treatment??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by