I couldn't resist! Royal Palm Turkeys.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TheJadeChicken, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Today, I went to a Animal and Flea Market to get chickens. I saw a bunch of different types of turkeys. And I saw something I couldn't resist NOT getting. Royal Palm Turkeys! This is my dream to have. They are just so beautiful. I am hoping I have a pair.

My mother and I, a couple years ago, we have been trying and trying to get more turkeys. Well, my mother had 4 disappear out of a cage, they were bronze. And I have had 2 die after it had rained, they were a lilac color. So we got fed up and never got some more. :/

We have decided to try again. They look about 7 weeks old. I will try and get some pictures by tomorrow. I wish I could have gotten a picture of mom and dad.

2. Sorry for the double post. But here are the pictures. There feathers look terrible! The breeder had them crowded in a small cage at the sale. They are the same age. I picked out the biggest one and the smallest one. The smallest one is making the "rubber" sounding call, I am not exactly sure what it is called. It sounds like squeaky clean dishes. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    Congrats! I love my Royal Palms!

4. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    I'm not sure how old Freebie is (at least 4 weeks)...but she is growing. I have her in with a bunch of pullets and they all sleep on top of her so she looks a bit messy. I think she likes it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ButchGood

ButchGood Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Congrats, They sure are pretty when they get older. These are one breed I'm considering for a backyard trio. Its between them or the Bourbon Reds.

6. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    All of this...the turkeys and chickens..the dreaded Chicken Math...it's all because of one Turkey! My bf saw a picture of one for sale and wanted it really badly. I got it for him as a surprise. I told him HE was going to take care if it...it was not my responsibility..no Sir...I did not want another animal. Then I was totally taken by the turkey. He is COOL! I did a bunch of research and decided to get him a mate, which was a difficult task. When we picked up the mate, I was given a poult as a gift......"Freebie". The poult surely would need brooder mates...so three chicks...and away we go! If Freebie is a hen, I'll have two.

Meet Strut
    [​IMG]

His girlfriend Dot
    [​IMG]

7. I was the same way. But when I saw them at the sale, I had to jump for $8 dollars each. There was some Buff looking ones, but they were way more than these.

DeannaOR: So Beautiful! I can't for mine to get big. I am going to get another hen later on. But I want to wait for these to get bigger.

8. ButchGood

ButchGood Songster

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Strut is freakin awsome, and Dot is a cutie.

9. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    $7 each is a great deal!

Dot is now setting on eggs...14 of them! I'm a nervous wreck.
    [​IMG]

Strut got aggressive with a chicken yesterday, chased her around and grabbed her by the neck.......he has never done anything but be protective of them, so I am thinking it has to do with the impending hatch.

[​IMG]

10. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    TheJadeChicken,

I'm definitely no expert...but I think you are right. The bigger poults head looks different, I think that one is the tom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: