I couldn't resist! Royal Palm Turkeys.

TheJadeChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Saline County, Arkansas, US
Today, I went to a Animal and Flea Market to get chickens. I saw a bunch of different types of turkeys. And I saw something I couldn't resist NOT getting. Royal Palm Turkeys! This is my dream to have. They are just so beautiful. I am hoping I have a pair.

My mother and I, a couple years ago, we have been trying and trying to get more turkeys. Well, my mother had 4 disappear out of a cage, they were bronze. And I have had 2 die after it had rained, they were a lilac color. So we got fed up and never got some more. :/

We have decided to try again. They look about 7 weeks old. I will try and get some pictures by tomorrow. I wish I could have gotten a picture of mom and dad.

Sorry for the double post. But here are the pictures. There feathers look terrible! The breeder had them crowded in a small cage at the sale. They are the same age. I picked out the biggest one and the smallest one. The smallest one is making the "rubber" sounding call, I am not exactly sure what it is called. It sounds like squeaky clean dishes. lol

I'm not sure how old Freebie is (at least 4 weeks)...but she is growing. I have her in with a bunch of pullets and they all sleep on top of her so she looks a bit messy. I think she likes it.

Congrats, They sure are pretty when they get older. These are one breed I'm considering for a backyard trio. Its between them or the Bourbon Reds.

Congrats, They sure are pretty when they get older. These are one breed I'm considering for a backyard trio. Its between them or the Bourbon Reds.

All of this...the turkeys and chickens..the dreaded Chicken Math...it's all because of one Turkey! My bf saw a picture of one for sale and wanted it really badly. I got it for him as a surprise. I told him HE was going to take care if it...it was not my responsibility..no Sir...I did not want another animal. Then I was totally taken by the turkey. He is COOL! I did a bunch of research and decided to get him a mate, which was a difficult task. When we picked up the mate, I was given a poult as a gift......"Freebie". The poult surely would need brooder mates...so three chicks...and away we go! If Freebie is a hen, I'll have two.

Meet Strut

His girlfriend Dot

I was the same way. But when I saw them at the sale, I had to jump for $8 dollars each. There was some Buff looking ones, but they were way more than these.

DeannaOR: So Beautiful! I can't for mine to get big. I am going to get another hen later on. But I want to wait for these to get bigger.

$7 each is a great deal!

Dot is now setting on eggs...14 of them! I'm a nervous wreck.

Strut got aggressive with a chicken yesterday, chased her around and grabbed her by the neck.......he has never done anything but be protective of them, so I am thinking it has to do with the impending hatch.

Back
Top Bottom