i couldn't resist!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lottyloo, Jul 31, 2010.

1. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    This morning i went to the local market and was looking for some polish hens as i saw them a few weeks ago but not seen them since [​IMG] well anyway as i was looking for a few fancy hens (they didn't have any this week) a man started talking to me in portuguese and then pulled out a little box with lots of little bundles of yellow fluff, i just couldnt say now so i now have 2 babys they are only about a week i think but they are adorable! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got given two more chickens yesterday one hen and another cockerel, the cockerel is a blue/grey colour and the hen i a lovely golden colour with black lacing. will post some pics soon!

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

They are addorible!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

WHERE the heck do all y'all folks hang out that other folks just up and give you chicks and chickens????

*stomping foot like a frustrated kid*

I wanna have people just give me chicks, too!!

Okay, now that I'm over that snit - how cool that you got new chicks!!!!! [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm rather jealous, too!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW [​IMG] And so it begins..............

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Gryeyes - I am in NC on the VA border, I go to this fleamarket called Ringgold Open air fleamarket - and its open every weekend - usually atleast 3 people with chickens 2 regulars and sometimes theres as many as 8 people with animals from chickens to mice to dogs to peacocks etc etc....Today a guy was selling goats and mini-ponies!!! *snickers*

I used to sell up there with a friend of mine and so alot of people recognize me and know me - I used to do 'buy 2 get 1 free' if I had chicks - you buy two chicks and i'll give you a third kinda thing.

The past 3 weeks I went up there and well everytime I've been offered something! - any rooster I wanted out of a guy I usually buy alot of chickens off of - said no thanks (I was trying to get rid of a Roo myself as it was that day- carrying it around in a tiny dog crate - finally traded it for a softball and bat for my daughter - lol) last week I went later than usual as I was on my way back from something else and decided to look around real quick. Girl up there I was talking to had golden pheasants - she had 2 left and offered to give me the female if I bought the male for 10$ (She had been selling them 40$ a pair - and just needed to get rid of them) WELL I take them off her hands for 10$ and am trying to figure out WHAT THE WORLD i'm going to do with 2 pheasants when I stop at the gas station and turn around and sell them to this guy who offered me 30$ from seeing the male - lol. and today I came home with yet another silkie I was given *sigh* - I NEED TO LEARN TO SAY NO!! I need to re-home 2 of mine I am sure are boys as it is - not get more! [​IMG]

I have been offered purebred dogs, HORSES- usually ponies though, goats, a cow once (VERY TEMPTED!), chickens, ducks, etc etc.

Me and my friend used to go on "free hunts" on craigslist and run around the state together and pick up junk loads of chickens - usually roosters and drake ducks to turn around and sell at the fleamarket. So this was how I got to know so many people + selling my own stock of chicks when I used to bred a bunch.

I guess its just 1. where you live - larger areas are going to be harder, and 2. how well known you are at a market and how well known your hobbies are. [​IMG]

Good luck on finding some good deals and freebies on the chickies and chickens

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

While it seems very cool, I'd have to turn them down. You couldn't pay me to take birds from a flea market or swap, no way, not even chicks. Have to be very careful about biosecurity.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    they're so cute! that's how i got my rabbit, by the way... a jamacan worker at a local farmstand kinda forced him on me when i caught the little baby bunny running loose near the cow pen. it was either take the rabbit or put him in a very cruel looking metal cage... and that cute little bunny face kinda helped [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by