I couldn't take the mess any longer....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Songster

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Luckily we are in Florida and the day time is reaching close to 90 degrees , Tonight the low is 67 and tomorrow the low is 46, do you think with a heat lamp on at anytime it drops below 70 the ducks will be okay... The 2 larger one's are at least 3 weeks and I think the smaller one is at least 2 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you bring them in overnight? I see the title, but a third of the time means a third of the mess. I would not leave mine out in 46 degrees, even with a heat lamp, outdoors with no protection from breezes.

They are cutie pies!

3. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    that's what I wanted to hear... Okay I will bring them in at night time [​IMG] Thank you

4. mrobertson

mrobertson Hatching

Apr 3, 2011
    Quote:I agree. I wouldn't leave them out there in the mid 40's with only a heat lamp. What happens to the radiated heat coming from the bulb when the wind blows? It blows it right away too. Now if you were to wrap the entire cage in plastic, or put them in another enclosure with a 360 degree windbreak, I would not see a problem with leaving them out there. We raised chicks and ducklings through the winter with wooden brooder boxes with wire floors, as long as the bulb is a high enough wattage, and the wind doesn't come through the coop, they will be fine.

5. AnaD

AnaD Songster

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Unless you have something to cover the sides to keep draft out take them in. I had a pen outside with those lows but the sides of the pen where covered with boards. The temps in the pen stayed in the 60s.

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Tomorrow it's suppose to be rainy and the low tomorrow night is high 40's after that we should be back in the high 80's during the day and high 60's at night. I do have a plastic dog crate I could put them in at night but I just went ahead and brought them ... I may do that until one they sprout some feathers or two it stays over 70 at night I could pick up some plastic too and roll it up and down at night.

7. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Songster

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    I was able to overwinter ducklings in a camper shell on the ground with no extra heat. I took them out at 6 weeks during a warm stretch of days. Between the greenhouse effect in the camper shell and their body heat, everyone was quite toasty. I was careful to watch for mold though and changed the bedding every week while they waited inside. (That was a total nightmare but at least they weren't in the house and they had plenty of room to run!) 10 ducklings total and all have survived to be frolicking about my yard and laying their occasional first eggs.

8. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I am counting my blessings that ducks grow fast (especially these jumbo pekins) and that the heat in Florida right now is starting to feel like the beginning of summer.

I believe my babies are 3 weeks right now and all their yellow fuzz is turning white so I know their little feathers are on the way in. Now for the runt, who I am praying is also a pekin, maybe just a runt or something will grow here soon.

[​IMG]

9. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Better start looking for a bigger pen. Jumbo Pekins are huge! 3 large breed ducks in that pen will not work.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but think of the ducks future all crammed into something that small. Ducks need at least 5 square feet or more PER DUCK.

Good luck.

10. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Your not raining on my parade. I have another area they will be going to next, once they have their feathers, this is just a temp. thing and honestly I am not sure if they are the Jumbo's or the regular, it's been a mystery since they were given to me. We figured out they are Pekins, They lady bought 2 at the local feed store and one at TSC. Well I couldn't figure out the size difference but they look so similar so I asked the feed store, and i could of swore he said Jumbo.. I hope my memory didn't add that word or I will feel silly when they get a little bigger.
    I am actually going to use that pen for something else but for the time, I thought it would be a safe place for the ducks to play in the daytime.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: