I cracked a egg and there are 7 days until hatch date

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by math ace, Oct 26, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    [​IMG] I was turning the eggs tonight and cracked an egg ! [​IMG]

It is not ozzing and I can not candle it because it is a dark marans egg.

WHAT DO I DO ? ?

I have 7 days until hatch date. I have 4 days until lockdown . . .

For tonight - - - I put the egg in a bowl and put it back in the incubator.

If it is ozzing in the morning I will toss it, BUT if it is not ozzing WHAT DO I DO ? ?

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Patch it up with candle wax. I have four duck eggs in the incubator that were jostled out of the nest by a drake trying to mate with the mom and they were pretty smashed. I had read on here to patch them with candle wax and it's been over a week and they're all still moving.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I agree. Melt some candle wax over any areas that appear to be cracked, and let it solidify. We did this with an egg that my broody accidentally cracked, and for a few more days it was fine---no oozing, and no odor. After that it was stolen by a predator, so I can't tell you if it would have made it to hatching or not, but it's how I would handle the situation again, if it came up.

4. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    DONE - - THANKS GUYS !

My Dh did not want me to throw it away and I did not want it to explode in the incubator !

We are BOTH happy now [​IMG]

GREAT JOB BYC MEMBERS [​IMG]

5. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

im subscribing to this to see if it works... would you let us know please?[​IMG]

6. keith_m71

keith_m71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hello Everyone nice to meet you all, I'm new here but have done a good deal of hatching this year to get a flock going. I read about the wax thing when I had a egg from one of my hens I really wanted hatched. The main thing is to keep air out of the crack so I covered mine with white out and the baby hatched beautifully. The only sad note is one of my dogs got it... So patching does work.

7. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    i use elmers glue on mine ,works great just hatched one yesterday ,it was a shipped egg got cracked bc marans, i have been trying for a year to hatch them ,so i put elmers on it ,hatched fine janie

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I sure will update. My hatch date is Nov 3. . .so we won't have to wait long to find out [​IMG]

9. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am going into lock down tomorrow - Sunday. I will let you know how this egg does [​IMG]

I can tell you that the melted candle wax (raspberry scented) has made my whole cooler smell great everytime I open it to turn the eggs. [​IMG]

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I've had great results with clear nail polish too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by