I cracked a partially-inicubated egg tonight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tala, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I candled my eggs before I sold them (fortunately) due to the heat, and because I have a broody, and I pulled this one to save for the dogs. I must have either yanked one of her eggs on accident, or maybe this one got left out in the 100*F weather, not sure which.
    Fortunately I was feeding the dog, so it wasn't for us, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I cracked it open. It was a few days along, but I doubt Dusti will mind [​IMG]

If you are curious -- picture at this LINK

2. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Ewwww. But interesting to see. Your right, I'm sure the doggy didn't mind!

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] YUK! That almost looked like a little face in the yolk. Odd how that looked. I've seen plenty of eggs with the white cord-like thing attached to the yolks. We assumed it eas a fertile eggs, just develped the spinal cord.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, the little white cord-like thing can be seen in both fertile and non-fertile eggs. It's called the chlazae (sp?). It anchors the yolk in the white, keeping it centered.
    Tala, you had one of my worst nightmares. I've been obsessively collecting my eggs quickly in this heat. If I hear the egg song, I'm off to the coop in a hurry.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:No, the little white cord-like thing can be seen in both fertile and non-fertile eggs. It's called the chlazae (sp?). It anchors the yolk in the white, keeping it centered.
    Tala, you had one of my worst nightmares. I've been obsessively collecting my eggs quickly in this heat. If I hear the egg song, I'm off to the coop in a hurry.

Yeah, I don't always candle my eggs (in the cooler parts of the year) for selling because they are collected quickly, however in this heat combined with the broody - the hens have been hiding eggs, so if I'm in doubt I give to the dogs and candle everything that I sell.

It was more of a surprise than anything, I'm not easily squicked out.

6. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    Just curious - since I have two broody hens right now. How long does it take to get like that? It's been over 90 here most days with unbelievable humidity. I'm trying to collect the eggs twice a day, but one of the broody hens pecks me horribly, so I avoid her and try to collect her eggs when she gets off. The ones from her and the other broody are not sold. But, I'm always petrified that I'm going to 'miss' something and end up selling an egg like you got. So..... what happens after one, two, three days?

7. backwoodsman4life

backwoodsman4life Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    It is amazing how our God can take that stuff and form it into a chicken inside an egg. [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I am sure that there is a chart somewhere. Look over in the incubation forum.
    By 3 days there is obvious veining when candling light shelled eggs. This one was past that, but less than 10 days. I haven't looked up anything more specific than that for this one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by