I cracked the egg!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joecramp, Dec 4, 2013.

1. joecramp

joecramp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Hi I have 11 quail eggs incubating and it day 18 (you stop turning at day 17) I just water candled the eggs and I accidently cracked the shell on one of the eggs! I definately know it's alive because I heard it chirp but this was before it cracked!!! HELP should it hatch?? if it does will it be healthy?? it's only a tiny crack but it uncovers the shell and just leave the membrane there but it hasn't pierced the membrane just opened it to the shell and there arent any dents etc..

2. joecramp

Nov 21, 2013
    also the membrane is a white color

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    As long as the membrane is in tact, you should be fine.

I had a VERY similar issue just happen to me. I had two remaining eggs in the incubator, and my cat decided to sleep on it. When she jumped off, she slid the incubator back against the wall pretty hard. The eggs inside bounced up with one landing two trays over, and the other landing on the grate at the bottom where there were no trays. BOTH were cracked.

The next night, the cat did the same thing. Both were cracked BADLY at this point. But the membrane was still in tact. Worse than your case though, they still had about a full week to go until hatch!

I candled them at 3 days prior to hatch day, and didn't see any movement. so I cracked open the air-sac end of the shell to poke at the membrane and see if they were alive. Both moved! So now with a badly cracked shell, AND a hole in the large end of the egg, I wasn't sure they'd last.

But they are now little bouncy fuzzballs, hanging out in the incubator with each other, and chirping away happily. Not only did they successfully hatch, but one of them didn't need ANY help to get the possible dried membrane off of him! And neither of them are having any health problems, such as curled toes and such.

4. joecramp

Nov 21, 2013
    It's not chirping anymore :(((

5. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX

That doesn't necessarily mean anything...could just be resting. Of coarse, it could also be dead, but it's just as likely not. Give it unitl a day after hatch day and check again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by