i CRUSHED my baby chicken's toe!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bock, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I feel HORRIBLE!!! [​IMG] I was sitting on the grass with my 4 3 week old chickens. All of the suddeen Bubbles , my chicken, ran behind me.As I reached for himm all the other chicken flew in the air. My cat, Oliver, lunged at Marmalade. As I grabbed at Oliver, my knee crushed Bubble'swing and toe. [​IMG] Now his toe is dark purple, and he can't walk. I put a band-aid on his toe to try and fix his bone(I think it is broken.) He has been like this for about 20 minutes, and all he does is cry at the top of his lungs. [​IMG] Please help Bubbles, he is so young,and innocent. [​IMG]

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Try a teeny cold pack and splint the toe with a band aid and card board-remember you are working in miniature! Do a search on this site! Keep posting someone will help. Some recommend a little honey in the water for
    shock. The bird needs to be kept warm-the toe cool for a while.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thank you I WILL try that. [​IMG]

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    So sorry. [​IMG] Banter has good advise though. Keep us updated. [​IMG]

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I used a peice of ice to help his toe [​IMG] , but he won't drink the water [​IMG] .The ice seemed to subdue the pain for a few minutes, he started to limp around the cage. But now he is laying in the corner again [​IMG] . Can he really survive with a bad toe, he no longer eats or drinks, and, well, it worries me!!! [​IMG]

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, he will be fine with time. He is just in pain. If you have moleskin I would bandage with that. Medical tape also is stiffer than a bandaid. If its broken you want to totally immobilize it. So whatever you have that is good and stiff will work best. Make sure the foot is clean and dry. Place whatever you are using tape, etc. down sticky side up and place the foot on it. Place another piece of tape on top. Cut the tape to shape like a boot. Leave all the tape between the toes tho'. Don't change it unless you really have to (dirty,wet). The longer you leave it alone the better it is not to manipulate the toe too much. Change it only if really nec. If you can leave it on for a week to 10 days that would be good. Replace it after this time if it still appears broken. Remove the bandage by soaking it or with oil and be very careful. Keep him quiet and offer him some treats if you need to get him eating. Yogurt, etc. Put some sugar in the water too for extra energy if it's not eating or drinking for you. It will be fine tho' Don't feel bad, it was an accident.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chicks and even adult chickens can lose all their toes and still live to run around!

Accidents happen. Might look into adding one 5 grain asprin to a gallon of water and letting her have some. Asprin only though.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thank you, that is really helpful [​IMG]

9. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    OH MAN!!! [​IMG] How lame, I don't have ANY tape, so I tried to use those little round bandaids, and it fell right off. [​IMG] Will he be okay WIHOUT a brace??? [​IMG] I mean he just seems SOOOOOOOO stressed!!! [​IMG]

10. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    If you do end up getting medical tape don't use the clear stuff. I used it to put a boot on my chick and it came right off. The fabric kind works best and you only need 2-3 inches max.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by