I culled my first two roosters today

littleluciex

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
Wauchula
I tried two methods, the axe method and the broomstick method. The broomstick method went a lot easier, although I think I pulled to hard, but I wanted to make sure the act got done quickly. I have never had to do anything like this before, the cleaning process didn't go as smoothly, as my scalding pot was too small. So now I have decided no more culling till I get an outside kill station set up with an included mega scolding pot. Thanks to everyone for all your stories on how to do it. It made the whole process easier. What a great place to learn. How on earth did people learn before? lol

We learned by watching Gramma do it
wink.png

I hear you. DId my first cull today, a cross beak chick. Took 2 tries and took too long. A bit stressful. I hope I can become more proficient with experience.

Cleaning it was an experience too. It was small enough to keep the mess to a minimum on a cutting board. What to do with all the feathers. . . . . .ended up skinning it. All done and cleaned up in 15 minutes.

Large pots--try a water bath (canning) pot. Or a supersized commercial pot--that fit a goose!

Sorry you had as difficult a time as I had; like most things the first time is only the beginningand experience will let us fine tune our skill. DH wants me to send the roosters to the butcher!! NOT.

Keep practicing. We skin ours, but the ones we cull are the older laying hens. They're tough, so I pressure can them. Hard to find any better soup meat than that. DH uses the hatchet method. I've never had to kill any of my birds myself. I have no problem ordering the hit, but haven't had to carry it out. (I tell him that's why I keep him around) Good for you for being able to do it yourself!

Sending them to the butcher would be soo much easier but I can't find anything like that here. We don't even have a small private meat shop anymore. I am on the look out for a large pot and old sink to do everything outside now.

Im proud of myself to be able to of done it, the coop was a lot quieter today, it will be interesting to see if it affects egg production. Thank you all for your kind words.

As for the feathers, there has to be a section somewhere on here about that, Im wondering if washing them and making pillows is an option. Waste not want not.

haha my friend and I often say "What did we do before the internet?" though we both know the answer to that one. The library usually. Or find someone that knows to show you. The internet is so much handier though!

Good for you on entering the world of learning
smile.png
You are in good hands here. I learned to do my extra roos fromt eh wonderful people in the meat section and I am very grateful for that. If you ever have any questions just let us know
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom