I culled yesterday.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicmom, Jul 13, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, this has been a rough week in my chicken world.......I lost a chicken to a predator this past Sunday, and then last night, I culled my rooster. I noticed him sneezing just a little bit about three days ago. Didn't think much of it, because, after all, we all sneeze sometimes. Then the next day, I noticed it was more frequent. Finally on the third day, which was yesterday, he sounded bad. I knew something was wrong. I made the decision to cull, because, I've dealt with illnesses before, and I used to be all about treating the chicken and bringing it back to health. But I have changed. Now I realize that you will just prolong sickness and you will have carriers of the illness within your flock. So I made the decision to cull him. And I handled it myself, very quickly with a hatchet.

Such an ugly thing to have to do, but I believe it was necessary for the good of the flock. I'm not a happy camper, but I'll live.

Needed to share.....

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

How old was the rooster and did you process it for eating?

3. kerroppi76

kerroppi76 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Langhorne, PA
    poor guy...but like you said it was the best thing. [​IMG]

4. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    I am giving you a very big mental hug!! I had to cull my fav. rooster a few months ago, due to a horrible infection on his face. No one did tell me what it was, and I just figured it out yesterday, and of course, don't remember the name. I also had to cull a RIR yesterday, due to crop stasis.... I am very sorry for your loss....

5. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:OH, I needed that hug so much! Thank you. It's the third time I've had to cull in three years. Not a good feeling, but necessary.

Hugs to you as well! So sorry about your losses too!

Sharon

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Thank you! I do think it was best....for the sake of the flock....

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

x2 You did the right thing. If it had gotten out of control into the rest of your flock...it wouldve been a nightmare for you. I wish you the best.

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio

x2 You did the right thing. If it had gotten out of control into the rest of your flock...it wouldve been a nightmare for you. I wish you the best.

Thank you, Dawg! That means alot coming from you.

Sharon

9. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I feel bad for both of you. I am not looking fwd to having to do the deed. Im a big softy inside.

10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you did a brave thing. I couldn't do it - I've lost two hens to unknown causes and it tore up the whole family. Am currently spending big bucks with the vet to keep a third hen going after a bout with egg yolf peritonitis. I totally understand your decision. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by