I cut the chicks apron strings tonight - but the silkie?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My chicks will be two weeks old on Wednesday. It's 80 degrees on our screened porch where my chicks are living. I stopped using a daytime heat lamp after the first couple of days. Tonight I cut the apron strings completely. No more night light. I just checked on them and they are sleeping comfortably; spread out all around the brooder.
I can't believe that I'm considering moving them to the coop with the big birds this week.
They are all already jumping in and out of their wading pool brooder. The easter eggers aka demon seeds are going past that and jumping up on the edge of the draft guard (18" high)!
Boy the difference in brooding chicks in April and brooding them in June is amazing.

One of the silkie chicks is lagging behind. He's getting his feathers, but much slower and he's very small compared to the others, including the other silkie. I believe this is 1. because he's a better quality silkie and 2. he's a little roo (I'm 99% positive). Still, he's not having any trouble holding his own with the larger chicks. He eats well and his crop is full at night. He has a little love affair going on with one of the speckled sussex pullets and sticks close by her side.

Can I go ahead and move him with the rest? I want to avoid the issue of re-introducing him later, if at all possible.

No one? The larger silkie chick started jumping out of the brooder this morning, so it's definitely time for them to move to the coop.
hmm.png

Hello there! Be careful because the adult chickens will hurt or even kill the babies if they can. I never put chicks with hens unless they are about the same size. perhaps you can divide your coop into two areas, so that they can see eachother first and get accustomed to eachother.......

Quote:
Hi.
I should have mentioned that the chicks will have their own sectioned off portion of the coop. The chicks have met a couple of my gentler hens. The chicks are afraid of the hens, but the hens are even more scared of the chicks.
lol.png

Quote:
Hi.
I should have mentioned that the chicks will have their own sectioned off portion of the coop. The chicks have met a couple of my gentler hens. The chicks are afraid of the hens, but the hens are even more scared of the chicks.
lol.png

OH WHEW! Glad to hear that! I would leave the silkie with the rest....bantams are scrappy! I'll bet he'll be fine....

Back
Top Bottom