I definitely have two roos but who is the roo!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Sep 25, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I admit it - I can't tell my white leghorns apart - they all look the same to me.

The only one that is obviously different is the one I assume is the pullet b/c two of the big combed ones have crowed. So how do I tell them apart now that they are 10 weeks old and I don't want to try and put a leg band on them. Or does it even matter - now that I've personally seen two crow at the same time - does that mean all the red combed 10 week olds are roos too?

Sidenote: If I ever have matching chicks again I will definitely leg band them to tell them apart.

I thought about spraying bluekote on the crowers' feet when I catch them crowing so I can know who is doing the crowing & get them ready to go to a friend's farm. Should I even bother? I don't want to give away any hens, just the roos.

The left one I am guessing is a pullet, the right one I am guessing is a roo b/c I have 4 that look like this and 2 have crowed.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    The ones with big red combs are roosters. In your pics, I only see one hen...the one in the coop door in the first pic.

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    lol hahahahaha yup you are correct!!! look at that beautiful boy... mine a few days ago got stuck in the feeder and strangled himself to death [​IMG] his name was Kayeff Cee.

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    You got it right. The pullets at 10 weeks will still have a fleshy colored comb. The roos will be big and red. Zip ties work for leg bands or you could paint their toenails (just avoid red).

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    All the ones with the large comb are roosters and all others are hens. When the leghorns get older, the hens will also have large combs and wattles but still not as large as the roosters. Adult white leghorns are strikingly beautiful birds.

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh, and as adults, hens' combs tend to flop over. The roos' combs will stand up.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh so sorry to hear that. If you're close to King George, VA and want another roo - I'd be happy to supply you. Our friend said he's going to freerange them so that they can eat bugs on his 10 acre property...but I'm not so sure as his next question was whether the roosters taste like chicken - and then he laughed and said he was joking [​IMG]

8. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I think I'll just call them all roos except for the short combed pullet and send them off. I don't want to try and hold them and put a zip tie on them at this point. They are pretty fiesty and growled at me the other day when they thought I was a predator outside the coop.

9. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:I think I'll just call them all roos except for the short combed pullet and send them off. I don't want to try and hold them and put a zip tie on them at this point. They are pretty fiesty and growled at me the other day when they thought I was a predator outside the coop.

growl??? hahaha [​IMG] thats a leghorn for you..
    yes i was very unhappy that day was just a horrable monday.. i lost Kayeff Cee and one of my layer ducks got attacked and killed. i wish i lived closer unfortuantly i live in ID [​IMG]
    i would gladly take all of you roos [​IMG] i guess i have next year to try for another one.. since i have a 80/20 chance of roos... anyone else get this kind of luck??? or am i just a bad egg picker???
    thank you for you generosity [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by