I did a stupid. Feeling horrible...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by desertchicken92, Mar 30, 2015.

1. desertchicken92

desertchicken92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    So I ignored guidelines and put my 3 5 week old pullets in with my flock of four,no wire cage, just boxes for them to hide with, multiple feed stations etc. The coop and run is big enough for tons of chickens even tho I had 4 so I thought it would work fine.I kept checking on them...It's my first time having chicks. Anyways my flock was fine with it for 4 days until my hens killed a chick. It was horrid. I feel guilty and sickened that my hens did this. I seperated the babies since. How do I go about feeling okay about this towards my hens?, I'm mad and disgusted at them and feeling guilt myself. I don't even want to see them. I know it's nature and I should have separated them but ugh... I'm sick to my stomach about it... poor chick.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Everything is a learning experience.
    Don't be mad at them. They are chickens and did what chickens do. Once flock dynamics are established, outsiders are a threat to the health of the flock and won't be accepted.
    Always introduce like numbers and like sizes of birds. 5 weeks is way too young to introduce to full grown birds.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well, this is how you learn. The hens can easily off a chick that aggravates. The hen was just p o'd at the time. I bet you will never make that mistake again! Always wait until your chicks are almost as big as the adults to remove fences. See but no touch before that, is ok and good for all to get to know one another. Sorry you lost a chick. [​IMG]

4. desertchicken92

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks, yeah lesson well learned. Maybe other newcomers will learn from this post. The more and more I think about it, the pullet was smaller than the other and she had been sneezing for 2 weeks, plus she was slow to catch on to anything. Maybe the big ones sensed that too...
    Anyways lesson learned and now I just gotta learn to love my old hens again, and raise the pullets until their older.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Yes, if she was sick. The established flock always views newcomers as a threat to the flock, and sick, is one of those threats!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's what quarantine period is for. Putting birds with signs of illness with your existing birds is a recipe for possibly losing your whole flock.
    All new birds should be housed separately as far from your flock as possible but at least 50 feet to prevent aerosol transfer of disease.
    6 weeks is best but a minimum of 30 days, with no signs of illness is suggested. Any signs of illness and the time should be reset to day one.
    Examine the bird for external parasites such as lice, mites, ticks, etc. These parasites will rapidly spread and infect other birds in close contact.
    Have the fecal samples read by a vet. Ideally, two negative samples 6 weeks apart should be obtained before declaring the bird worm free.
    The routine use of antibiotics is not recommended during the quarantine period. However, if a bird becomes ill while in quarantine, treatment is required. If antibiotics are given routinely to new birds (especially over the entire quarantine period) there are several undesirable possibilities.
    Work your birds first each day before tending to the new birds and wash up between flock visits.

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/agricult...ry/quarantine-advice-for-small-poultry-flocks

1 person likes this.
  7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Amen to that!! [​IMG]

8. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for your tough lesson. [​IMG] It was nice of you to make this thread. I think you are right, and other people who are doing a search to figure things out when they are new will be able to see this and realize that they have to wait.

I hope you feel better about your old hens. They didn't mean to hurt your feelings, it's just how they are programmed to behave.

9. desertchicken92

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks ChickenCanoe, Will definately quarantine. I'm also wondering, when it comes time for integration if Pinless peepers would be a great help? Thanks Finnie :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by