I did do a search on Bumble foot. Found nothing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Elfy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Elfy

Elfy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    My peking has one or two large bumps on her foot. They are not bleeding. None of our vets in the area are waterfowl trained.

How do you treat bumble foot at home?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had a turkey with bumblefoot once. This is what I did.

1.Cleaned the area very well
    2.Made a small incision on the center of the bumble
    3.Cleaned out all of the infection
    4.packed the hole with neosporin
    5.put clean gauze on the opening and taped it up with that white medical tape
    6.checked it everyday for a few days. If it got dirty or looked like it was swelling again, the scab was picked, cleaned and repacked with neosporin before rebandaging.

The turkey didn't seem to mind. It didn't even seem to bother her when I lanced it open. It probably looked funny to any onlookers. My husband and I sat out on the step. He held the huge turkey upside down with her feet sticking up while I did the doctoring.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. myheavenwood

myheavenwood New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    I have found conflicting recommendations on the web about how to treat bumble foot in ducks. I'm actually not certain its bumble foot it appears to be a swollen, hot ankle, its now sensitive to the point that he wont stand on it and limps terribly. I've separated him, put him back in his duckling pen with his kiddy pool with filtration. I've washed it with betadine soap, I've read that I should draw the fluid out and give him penicillin. I'm not much for surgery, I've also read that I should lance it and squeeze out the fluid etc...but I'm not certain its bumble foot its not on the foot, its on the ankle. Its got a lot of fever and I'm so sad to watch him suffer, I live in a somewhat remote area and I have a large animal vet that has no sympathy for ducks and my dog's vet says, "we dont do birds".

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All ducks have a round callus on their heels. bumble foot will make the duck leg and the bottom of the foot looks like it has a sore on it. It's like a boil on the foot. It doesn't usually bleed.

I am uncertain about heat in the ankle being caused by bumblefoot. You may be seeing an injured ankle. You can start by giving a course of antibiotic and soaking the foot a couple of times a day in a warm Epsom salt solution. Make sure the duck does not drink any of it.

If that is bumblefoot, it should bring the infection to a head and you can lance it and pack it with antibiotics. Myself, I would prefer to wait and see if the antibiotics clear it up.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have successfully treated mild cases of bumblefoot with topical antibiotic ointment and Epsom salts compresses. In most cases, just the antibiotic is needed. Wipe off the foot, then smear ointment on the foot, top and bottom, and do that three times a day for several days, then once a day usually covers it, but you must keep it up every day, sometimes for a month to six weeks.

The Epsom salts are also very good, and are said to draw toxins out of a wound. I used it on my own personal case of bumblefoot last spring. Worked.

If you can upload a photo that would help us give a little more informed opinions. I do not like opening a duck's foot because of their habits and environment, it increases the risk of a major infection. That said, I realize sometimes it is necessary.

Please keep us posted.

7. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We had a long term case of bumble foot early this Spring. Antibiotics, what Amiga said, and maybe a potato poultice. Worked wonders for my Mildred! We went through antibiotics, I did the surgery mulitple times, and it just would not clear. Must have been a persistent foreign object in there. The potato poultice finally drew it out. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639013/my-girl-mildred-ninja-duck/60

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. myheavenwood

myheavenwood New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    thanks to all who've replied with advice, my duck is doing a bit better, swelling is down yet he is not wanting to stand on it. It's been extremely hot in NC, we have had the worst heatwave and taking him out of the heat and putting him in a cooler place has probably contributed a lot, I will continue to watch him though at this point I'm worried his appetite is down because he is lonely. His flock have discovered him and have visited each day for 2 days but maybe that just makes him more depressed. He has a mirror too. If the swelling continues to go down I feel I'm doing the best thing, I havent tried to bother him much as I want him to stay calm and not injure himself, my ducks come to me for food, they walk about 100yards to meet me and quack for food if I dont come down to the pond at the exact hours they expect, morning and evening...its cute....I have 2 swans also....theyre mostly snotty but one will eat from my scoop....which is a big improvement from when they first arrived....I'll keep posting and tomorrow I'll photograph the ankle and post...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by