1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I did it again (New flufffy butt baby pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedchickenmama7, Jul 25, 2008.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    I succumbed and went to the feed store to buy food instead of sending my son or husband. I bought 3 polish chicks. My husband just shook his head. He didn't get mad... So far so good.

Anyway, the one in the front of this pic with its eyes closed has cheeped since I got home, loudly. It will not open it's eyes. If I hold it, it will hush, but it wants to be on my shoulder, in my hair. You know the poopy problems that could pose...

I did put them under the light in a warm brooder, but this little one is just not happy. Seems maybe sickly. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Also, I don't know one thing about Polish. Except they are cute as can be. Anybody know what color these will be?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    how could you not? totally cute!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Try some sugar water or electrolytes ....baby vitamins the polyvisol without iron.

My little one is doing the same thing...she is not eating or drinking without assistance so watch the little one.

Good luck....and they are sooooooooooo adorable.

5. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:Okay, thank you. How do you get the sugar water in them if they won't take it. Can you use a dropper?

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute chicks! I wish my feed store sold polish [​IMG]

All they ever sell here is RIR and BSL

7. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:Ours has had a little of everything this year, and they say everything goes as fast as they can get them. These came from a local I believe, because they only had about 10, and usually their brooders are full. They were Polish and Aracauana (total of 10) and one other brooder with 3 chicks that were a little larger, but I can't remember what they were. I had never heard of them. I did get RIR's and BSL's there earlier in the year.

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Awwww, they're so cute....that's what made me break down and rescue one from the pan fry special bin, and now I have a mean polish roo. LOL!!!

9. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Also, want to say that I have not been able to get anything into my little who acts sickly. But it is up moving a little more. I did put the bulb closer to them and cover part of the brooder with a blanket. They are moving around more, including the sickly one. She may be eating and drinking a bit on her own, because I can't sit and watch her all the time. I would think if she'd had no water she might be getting a little dehydrated by now as tiny as she is. She is the tiniest little chick with the skinniest little legs I've ever had. Her wings were drooping a little before, but seemed to be tucked back up a little now, but she's still "sleepy" looking. Maybe she just got too cold and she's going to be okay? I don't know.

10. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:Oh, no! Are Polish usually mean? I already have a questionable Maran roo, and several other roos, too. Some are going to have to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by