I did it all wrong, but.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencereb, Mar 26, 2007.

1. spencereb

spencereb In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Well,...I started off in late winter with a 30 G. acquarium (resulting in temp swings from 90-110), two 60w. bulbs, an acquarium pump (for fresh air), an acquarium thermometer, a regular air-conditioning thermostat (went to 80 degrees at most, maybe) and no hygrometer.[​IMG] At that time, we just happened to be getting about four eggs/day.[​IMG] So, each day I put one or two eggs into the acquarium, dated. Soon, thanks to all my good buddies here at BYC, I learned of all the specifics that I was doing wrong. I got a good cardboard box, an Accurite thermometer/hygrometer, dishes of water with sponges, marked my "x" & "o", started to turn twice a day, with the large end up a little, and, most importantly, I traded in that AC thermostat for the wafer type from the co-op.[​IMG] I had given up all hope for this batch, as on one morning in particular, I know the Accurite read 114 degrees![​IMG] This was while I was adjusting the wafer. Well....
    today was day 21 for the first egg. I did not even attempt to stop turning three days prior or raise humidity even a little bit more. I never heard peeps, never saw a peck on the shell. I had candled, and posted questions here regarding floating yolks, etc. As an aside, I mentioned to the wife that tomorrow was day 21 for some of the first eggs, yet, I had completely given up all hope for this batch.[​IMG] This morming, I came in to do the egg turn thing. I was sure that this one particular egg had done that exploding egg thing that everyone seems to dread like the plague. However, I noticed how the shell had been opened as if a can opener did the job...perfectly horizontal across what I guess was the air bubble!! Just then I heard the peeping.[​IMG] Still, I still did not see a chick.[​IMG] He was under the corrugated containers holding the other eggs.[​IMG] UNBELIEVABLE![​IMG] Apparently, he seems to be as healthy as can be.[​IMG] I left him in the incubator this morning. Tonight, I have him relocated into a brooder, although, all by himself. So anyway, don't give up on 'em, just give'em their time before discarding them.[​IMG]
    -Spence

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Spence.....congrats on the first hatchling!![​IMG] Just goes to show....mother nature takes care of her own. Great job! I hope you have a large hatch!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

It's amazing what chicks can make it through! Congrats!

4. spencereb

spencereb In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Hello all....
    Wow! today I got home and presto. Number two![​IMG] This one peeled off his lid, but his back feathers are stuck to the shell membrane,[​IMG] therefore, both feet were still in the bottom half of the shell.[​IMG] So, I helped him out a little.[​IMG] I cracked the shell away from his feet and peeled off what I could from his back without pulling any fur.[​IMG] Now he's walking around peeping like normal, pecking, preening, even stood up & shook his arms a little bit.[​IMG] Pretty cute. But what do I do about this shell remnant on his back? Is it safe yet to soak him in 100 degree water to soften it and peel it away? Do I leave it on and risk him growing too fast to shed it off? Will the other chick see this as a target and become agressive with him? Any suggestions?[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    -Spence

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It might help to take an eye dropper and put one drop at a time of warm water under where the shell is stuck. Give it a second or two and kinda work the shell around until it comes off. Just don't use too much water as you don't want to soak/chill the little guy.

6. spencereb

spencereb In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    Tennessee
    Well the shell dried to his back, big time.[​IMG] I waited a day to be sure he was up and running, tonight I ran water into a soup bowl with an aquarium thermometer getting it up to 100. I took an old toothbrush and put him in the warm water. I used the toothbrush against the lay of his fur. After getting really wet, and brushing at the membrane and shell, I was finally able to get all the stuff off him.[​IMG] Wow, they are really tiny when they are all wet![​IMG] So I dried him as best I could in a quick way and then back into the brooder.[​IMG] I closed some vents to try to warm the brooder a little more than usual. He seems ok, even pecking around and drinking.[​IMG] And.... we now have two more pipping![​IMG]
    -Spence[​IMG]

7. Llysse

Llysse Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    How exciting!!!

[​IMG]

What breed of bird are they?

8. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It just amazing isn't it? Congrats