I did it! Hard cooked my duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Seriously......they were SO good. I can't believe how WHITE and firm the whites were. I followed Dana's recipe from Moose Manor farms (GREAT website!) and hard cooked them instead of boiling them. I ate one plain with salt and pepper, and then put the rest in my macaroni salad. Deeee-LISH!

Try it if you haven't already.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:what is the difference between hard cooked and boiled? I know go to the web site and I will soon.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Hard cooked is basicly fried till the yolk is cooked. Just pop the yolk when you cook it.

4. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Everything I have been reading lately says you should never BOIL eggs. Hardcooking is just bringing the water to a boil, taking it off heat, covering and letting them sit there for 12 minutes. I am telling you....I was SO excited to finally try this. Had to wait a couple of weeks to get older eggs, and since I keep eating them for breakfast, it took me a minute to get enough. I still had the shells sticking to the eggs, so if I was making deviled eggs, these eggs would NOT have been pretty! But, man oh man! They were really good. What a fun feeling, too. Next time, I need to put the eggs on my counter for at least a week or so.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thats what i was wondering, when i boil eggs I bring the water to a boil then turn off the heat cover and let sit for 20min. then pour off hot water and rinse under cold till eggs are no longer warm. They do peel easier if they are not so fresh.

6. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So, see? You have been hard cooking and didn't even know it!

7. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Isn't it great to get to eat your own duck eggs. They taste so much better. I usually do the hard cook method versus hard boiling as I like the texture better and the no greenish layer on the yolks. I love hard cooked duck eggs but mine are never pretty no matter how old they are. [​IMG] Part of my problem is I do love deviled eggs and therefore want nice looking ones. I had to sort of switched to hard cooked egg salad sandwich filling to satisfy me. My hard cooked whites are usually to ripped up to safely hold the deviled yolk filling. How old were your eggs you cooked them?

8. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have no idea how old my eggs were, but they were the oldest ones I had, so at least a week to two weeks, I am guessing. I keep my fresher ones in a different part of my fridge. The whites DEFINITLY weren't worthy of deviled eggs....no way! Still tasted sooo good!

9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Thanks, Bayyjayy!

Yeah, duck eggs make THE BEST hard-cooked eggs... soooooo creamy and delish!

Quote:Hey Mike... you're talking about eggs "over hard". That's the way my dad likes 'em... I enjoy the yolk too much to kill the egg that way [​IMG]

mmmmm... you guys're makin' me hungry [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  10. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Over hard eggs make the BEST sandwiches, but when I fry my eggs, I just GOTTA have the runny yolk. No other way to eat eggs, in my opinion. I have had a couple eggs that were extra EXTRA yummy...the yolks were just really flavorful and downright delicious....not sure what makes some eggs better than others, but I have had two that were out of this world.....one was a double yolker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by