I did it!! Hatching under a heat lamp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by warmfuzzies, Apr 9, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I know I have seen questions on here about hatching under heat lamps. I did it!

I had a broody who had some extra eggs under her from the other hens laying with her after she started sitting. She has hatshed out 7, the last one on Monday night. So yesterday I took the rest of the eggs out, because the babies were starting to run around. Sure enoough, as I was standing over the trash barrel, I heard a peeping from one of them! So I quickly put them back under her. This morning there was a pip! [​IMG]

Then whan it got warm outside, momma hopped up to chase after the babies. This is what I figured would happen, but I thought I had to try! So I scooped it up and brought it in the house.

It was very cold and the baby was peeping very quietly. I wrapped it in a damp washcloth and put it under the light. It is very dry here, so throughout the day I helped it hatch, very slowly.

It is out now, alive! Wet and resting still, but I never thought it would work! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    CONGRADES [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It really works if you keep an eye on the temp and a cup with water.
    I just hatched 2 eggs that i experimented in a cooler with a light going in the top with a cup of water. [​IMG] and now they are running around with all my others.

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

DH wants to know if the entire incubation process could be done under a heat lamp. I told him I dont think so, because of humidity???

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    if you have a cup of water and keep water in it all time, it will work.

6. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    He's up and hopping! How long should I wait before I take him out to his momma? I don't want to wait too long, so he will imprint on her, but it is pretty cold and windy today, and she is running around outside with the babies.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wait till they go to roost and when she gets up in the morning she will think she hatched it.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    PICS! [​IMG]

9. warmfuzzies

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    They are SOOOO adorable, and my camera is broken!

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by