I did it! I processed 4 this morning!!! PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Easy Peasy! I used the "snap" method my BIL and sister told me about -- they do it with wounded live game birds in the field after the dogs retrieve them. I thanked each one for its sacrifice, held it for a moment to calm it, then took hold of the head and let go of the body and gave a really quick, fast shake. INSTANT -- I could feel the skull separate from the vertebrae. It was totally instantaneous. I feel very comfortable with this method, it was sudden.

I then took large extremely sharp scissors and removed the head, and hung them upside down to bleed out for a couple of minutes.

To clean them, I did skin them, and I did waste the wing tips and tail because it was too hard to skin.

It took less than 45 minutes in total from live chicken to soaking out in the sink in salt water.

All or my initial angst is gone, nothing to this.

Total dressed weight for the four four and a half week old Cornish Cross without skin and with necks, livers, hearts, and gizzards was 9.4 lbs after I tared the scale to compensate for the weight of the container.

I don't know if 9.4 lbs is good or bad at this age, but I'm pretty happy with them -- a good Cornish hen size, IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. Havsom Morpork

Havsom Morpork Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    That is a good size for 4 dressed Cornish. The first time is the toughest on the soul, after that it's all easy going. It's worth it for the health benefits and taste [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    excellent job D!

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG]

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nice job! I'm going to do my remaining six girls next week, or at least a couple of them. They'll be eight weeks and 5 days. What's the oldest I can wait? I don't have a ton of room in the freezer so am thinking if doing two a week for the next three weeks.

7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    They will probably wait for you. Mine have been waiting for me for longer than that. I have 6 left.

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Great job. [​IMG] Nice looking birds. [​IMG]

9. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I did 16 last weekend and ended up with 96 pounds of meat, it cost me 56 dollars to raise them.

10. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Glad to hear that it went so well - growing my first batch right now so I like seeing these positive posts! Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by