I did it! I sent in my order!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moonwalker, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    [​IMG]
    I finally gave in and ordered the Happy Cackle Special from Cackle Hatchery. That's what I started with last year. I was debating about the ducks, but decided, what the heck, I've got a lot more room here to keep them seperate and a real barn to work with.
    [​IMG]
    The assortment includes
    [​IMG]
    1 pair geese (sexed)
    1 pair ducks (sexed)
    2 turkeys
    10 brown egg laying pullets
    1 rooster
    10 assorted rare breed chicks (SR)

Last year I ordered in Feb and didn't want to wait till march for the geese, so they gave me 4 ducks instead of the 2 geese, so I got 3 pairs of ducks. I ended up with an extra turkey and 4 extra chicks too.
    [​IMG]

I WILL have to wait, tho.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I told them not to send before April 1st.
    I am supposed to drive back to TN to get my mare sometime this month (2-3 day trip) plus I want to get a space in the barn set up for pens.
    Of course, I'll keep the brooder in the house!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But since I will be getting several Splashing Stinkers (duckling/goslings)in the batch, I want a place ready for them to go as soon as it's warm enough!
    So, now I join the ranks of the waiting:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just did too. 8 barred rocks coming at the end of march early april! I am so excited!

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Waiting stinks. I hate waiting. [​IMG] I wish chicks could be here now.[​IMG]

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This time of year is so exciting. I get my order in on March 17th-- can't wait. The store is getting an order in next week....tempted to go get 3 to play with...a little early [​IMG]

I'm getting speckled sussex, buff orpington's, light brahma's, and golden-laced wyandotte. No telling how many roosters since I went with a straight run but still exciting.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Me too! Just ordered 10 Silver-laced Wyandottes (although I'm keeping only four...we're splitting with a neighbor). It's my "first time" though. haha. I'm so excited! Won't be getting them until around April 13th. Congrats!

[​IMG]

7. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    One of the reasons I like this assortment is that I will for sure have the 10 brown egg laying pullets and then there will be some in the rare breed assortment (I got several EE's last time) so I will get at least 12-15 hens and turkeys for Thanksgiving and Xmas and the ducks and geese for fun (and a few eggs) It was lots of fun guessing the breeds on the chicks. I think I ended up with a pair of Spitzhaubens, a phoenix roo, 5 EEs and 4 Buttercups. The ducks were all Rouens and the turkeys were BBBs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by