I did it, I trained a hen and rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by emvickrey, Sep 3, 2009.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I was having trouble out of a pair of EE's that where trying to kill the younger pullets. I had pullets that had lived in a cage for 2 and 3 months because I couldn't get the EE pair to leave them alone. So I put my foot down. First I tried the holding them by the legs upside down while parading around the other chickens. In a attempt to show them who is boss. That didn't work. So I put them in jail. I let all the younger pullets have free run of the coop while the pair of EE's had to watch from a cage that was really only big enough for transport. They had a perch and room for food and to eat it. The EE hen was laying her eggs on the floor. After 3 days I let her out and she left the pullets along but the roo was still trying to kill them. So back he went in Jail. He stayed another 2 days and I tried it again. And again he went after them. I grabbed him up as soon as he started and put him right back in jail.

I let him out a day later which was today and he is staying away from them. So far anyway. It's been a few hours and everybody is still alive. Now we can concentrate on the new coop and run for the AO's. It took 2 months to get them to get along.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Good job!!!! Just takes perseverence!!!

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Now my AO roo is getting a big cocky. I may have to teach him a lesson too. Every day when I feed I pet him and he does this little dance flirting with me. He has gotten to where he pecks at me and sometimes scratches me. Getting a little too rough. I'm not a hen. I'm gonna have to show him too soon. Probably after they get their new coop. I bet he gets an attitude then. His mate will be laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by