I did it -- moved the chicks into the coop!

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
FINALLY! I got their waterer hung up this morning and came up with a way to securely block the pop door while still being able to get an electrical cord in if it gets chilly enough for my smallest 4-weeker to need heat. The rest of them are fully feathered (or close enough). The chicks seem SO.MUCH.HAPPIER having room to run and flap and get away from each other when someone wants to push someone else around.

Seeing this weekend's forecast motivated me to figure out a way to get them in there. They start panting when it gets into the upper 80s because the brooder sides are nice and tall for blocking drafts but even with a wire top, with so many bodies so close together and so little air movement, the heat is stifling. With 90s forecast, it's time to move!

Seeing them in their bigger space makes them look so small but seeing how happy they are tells me that it was time. Boy will my husband be surprised when he gets home!

Congrats on the move! They grow so fast!
thumbsup.gif

Hey debid,,,, know your chicks are happy now..... i did the same this morning ,,, put them in the big tractor before we left for Orlando, as soon as we got back I opened the pop door ( of course they had overturned their waterer...that seems to be the fun thing to do now, twice n as many days).. within a couple of minutes several heads peeked out. the Australorp was first out the door, standing on the ramp, but then the Brahma bulled past and jumped to the ground. now if I can get get them back inside the coop tonight---all will be good.

Back
Top Bottom