1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I did it! Mr. Turkey has gone to glory.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tiffrz-N-Kidz, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    It only took a year of mental prep and all y'alls experience hope and strength that you have graciously shared here on these boards, but I did it!

A big shout out to you, Booker1 - I had your chicken tutorial up in the living room the whole time I was gutting so thank you for posting it, it was truly a Godsend.

I chose a BBB from a local lady who raises all kinds of animals to be used in a petting zoo. I bought a pair of Bourbon Reds to hopefully start a flock of my own, and the BBB and a goose for Christmas dinner. (She's hanging on to the goose for me.)

The BBB was at the end of his useful life, poor guy, and was lumbering around so pitifully that it made my decision easier to go through with it.

I didn't take pictures but I will post a pic of the processed bird when I get home tonight. I bet he's 30 lbs.

I'm sore.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congratulations! I bought my first two turkeys this year.....They're still too small for turkey dinner but maybe later......

Can't wait to see your finished product,

Sharon

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Congrats! I processed my first duck yesterday for Thanksgiving dinner. I too used the experience and insight of BYCers to help.

4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    butchered my last turkey (destined for freezer).. tom BBW, weighed 40 lb live, 25 skinned, and gutted... that was one BIG breast... To process it, I took the legs, thighs, and wings off- kept them together to freeze... Cut the breast off, froze it... took the back, cut in half, and froze together.. The way I figure it, there's enough meat on the back alone for us 2.

On a side note, my BBW hen, laid ONE egg..just one.. and haven't seen once since (2 weeks ago)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    My BBW has laid 4 total. I was hoping the Bourbon Red would get his groove thing on, but I have seen no signs of turkey-nookie.

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:Put some Barry White on, Baby:D

7. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    [​IMG]

Finally remembered to upload his picture. Not the best picture, but you can see him up by the window. He's the one on the platter, not in the high chair.

8. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] That made me lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by