I did it! (well sort of)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Camelot Farms, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We picked 6 EE's out of the straight run bin...I know...DUH. lol. 4 ended up being roosters so last night I caught them and boxed them up and took them to DH's buddy for his freezer. I managed to participate in the process minimally and without nausea or feinting. lol.

I managed to take them out of the box, calm them down and then hand them off to the buddy. Then I turned my back and plugged my ears in case of squawking of worse yet wing flapping and headless chicken running... gag. All 4 were decapitated in 5 minutes and the skinning was done a short time later. I watched that part but no hands on. Next time, I think I could help with the skinning/plucking but the actual killing? Probably not.

But I am proud of the fact that we dispatched them for the greater good of filling someone's freezer. [​IMG]

2. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    Very proud of you as you yourself should be. We did 20 birds on sat,and my 5 year old is the only one of our family that can participate. He was covered in blood speckles and Did not even flintch when the heads came off. the jumping and squawking that took place was mild.

3. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Songster

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Great job!! [​IMG]
    We have been using the cones (road cones the husbands friends "found" [​IMG] ) and use the "slicing each side of the neck" which allows the heart to pump out all the blood quickly and without thrashing.
    Husband says we will have to chop off a head so the kids can see it at least once.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Well done!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    very brave, I'm impressed!
    I have done a few mercy dispatchs but have never butchered my own. I do stand in the room where the processor guts and cleans them and I have gotten as close as the door (but haven't watched) while they dispatch . . . I'm no there yet though.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:oh great ...here I got meaties ( they arrived today -26-alive and kicking) thinking I was following in your footsteps to process and now you tell me you havent done the "deed" yet? [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL teasing!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it's 2.50 vacumm sealed . . . why in the heck would I do it myself????

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    glad they go there I was worried!

9. gallinamama

gallinamama Songster

May 14, 2010
    Macomb, Michigan
    Very good... you will get used to it or start taking them to a place that does it for you... but over here my neighbor said it is 1.75 for each chicken.!!! might as well buy them...[​IMG]

Tell you a good story: when I got married over 37 years ago... my mother in law was Italian... So to impress I would try to conquer anything... I took her to Eastern Market... people in the Detroit area will know where I mean... anywho... she brought home some chickens in a box... I was there to help her...She proceeded to cut their throats and told me to hold them... I did... she told me to put it in the hot water.... I did.... but the dang chicken got up and started flopping around the basement!!!! [​IMG] I was so scared and screaming and my MIL was laughing so hard she peed herself....[​IMG]

Everyone got a chuckle at my expense.. or should I say at the expense of the poor chicken... so you did better than I did the first time around. still not very fun...[​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have too [​IMG] we dont have processors around here:-( Id pay 2.50 too!!! Last time I checked I had a traveling one-but Id have to drive 1 1/2 hrs one way and 3.75$ a piece wasnt worth it at all:-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by