I did it!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SandraMort, Nov 26, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I went to the barn, chose two of the larger cockerels, processed them and put them in the fridge to brine overnight. Ive got four leg/thigh quarters and a bunch of boneless breast, two livers, hearts and gizzards, two necks and a bunch of bones for someone who asked me to save them fir her BARFing dog. It was slow... but faster than last time!

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    WTG! Congratulations! I have yet to process a bird on my own. Heck, closest I've come is watching DH with a wild turkey he shot. I hope I have your strength come February when we process the 30 meaties we have on order [​IMG].

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    you know that chicken and turkey bones can be lethal to a dog, right?
    especially cooked bones..

we had a beautiful dog who dragged the turkey carcass out of the garbage without our knowledge.. she got sick and listless.. for two days.. we didn't know what was wrong with her..
    on the 3rd day we came home from town and found her dead on the bathroom floor.. that is when we found out what killed her.. before she died, she pooped out two bratwurst sized turds that were nothing but tightly compacted bits of bone.. she literally bled to death from these razor sharp bones sliding through her intestines..

it is not an "old wives" tale...
    DO NOT FEED YOUR DOGS CHICKEN BONES..

.jimiwisc.......

5. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:Yes, cooked bones are very dangerous. Raw ones are not, which is why I specified that they are for someone who feeds a BARF diet. That stands for Bones And Raw Food.

Thank you for caring [​IMG]

6. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    OH! And I need to pat myself on the back since nobody else will get this...

The first time I did it, I had to cut the bird more than once because I didn't know what I was doing. BOTH birds yesterday were clean kills with one cut each. The first didn't seem to bleed as much as the second, though very clearly died in a few seconds. The second bled the way I anticipated.

Oh, and both had clotted blood by the hearts. What causes that?

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Goods Job the first are always the hardest.

I usually end up cutting more then once, so I gave that up and switch to an over sized cleaver, then gave that up and switched to a pair a sharpened tree loppers and a home made killing cone.

Now Jan (wife), and my son do the deed.

As far as the blood, No real clue

Tom

8. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Congratulations!!! Way to go!

Kelly

9. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    You rock Gurl....[​IMG]

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Yeah!

i did two in the kitchen for Thanksgiving and it really is cake work once you get your method down.

taking 100 to the processor Monday a.m. because it's just too cold to do myself here in Michigan.

come spring, i'll be out plucking in the yard.

nice work, Sandra and yes, be proud! it is work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by