I did it!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by snugglepup, Sep 30, 2007.

1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    [​IMG]

We finally butchered our 3 evil roos. They were about 5 months old. We've been putting it off for like 3 weeks, and finally did it. I asked my husband last night if he was ready. He said no! LOL I said, well, we're gonna do it anyway! They are cut up and sitting in the fridge as I type! There was more meat on them than I expected. We'll have to see how they taste.

It wasn't too bad, once we got started. Dispatching them was the hardest part. We still haven't quite got the hang of that. But the skinning went pretty well... my first effort was mostly mangled, but the other 2 went smoothly. The gutting I think went like the pics say.

I gave the feet to the dogs, and, after a while, they decided they were great! At first they were like... uh? what is this? a joke? [​IMG]

Yay! I'm so proud of myself!!

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Well done! The first are the hardest, you will be a pro in no time.

3. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    hehe! thanks! I will consider the next time an improvement as long as I don't cut my finger half off. Knife wielding is a skill... I hope. LOL

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

congrats! It does get easier with time. Its not a job I would want to do every day...but....to feed my family, I will do it when I need to. Let us know how they are, when ya cook them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by