I did it!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Poupoulles, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    We killed and processed our first turkey. It had one eye and was a hassle to herd anyway. We skinned instead of plucking. The part we thought would be hard "the deed" and "guts" were easy and the part we thought would be easier - skinning, was a much bigger pain int he butt than I thought. But it worked!
    And the bird in question, named Popeye, is in the crock pot right now as we speak! Yum!
    I will need some help on the skinning front. The legs were really hard!

Yay us!

2. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    [​IMG] CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG] I just recently did my first Rooster. The best part about it (other than eating it) is knowing that I can do it!

3. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    How old was it? I did turkeys last year and they were significantly
    harder to skin than the chickens were . Course chickens were butchered at 12 weeks and the turkeys at abotu 7 months...

4. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    He was a memorial day baby... so four months-ish... (Now that I think about it its funny but they came memorial day and we slaughtered our first on on labor day...)
    The back and legs were very hard to skin. But we got it done!

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:Then eat him on thanksgiving. Boy holidays suck for that guy! LOL!

bout all I can offer is keep at it. You will find a way that works good for you adn you will build up more muscle to do it. I agree turkeys are harder to do that chickens though. for me it was the wings that were the hardest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by