I did my first rooster today!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by miron28, Oct 31, 2008.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    well i did my first rooster today! First time ever. well i had some help the old man behind me helped. the old man told me to brake his neck and hang him up side down and wait about 3 minutes and all the blood will run to his head. that why it won't be messy. his head swelled up. he took it an cut off the head and there was no blood at all..we skined it and cleaned it in about 6 min. it was clean and simple. when we pulled the skin off it looked like a blanket of feathers. it was easier then i thought it would be. [​IMG]

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I did my first roo kill a couple of months ago, by myself , I botched the job so much on the kill part, I was Traumatized!!!
    I know what I did wrong and Im sure I can do a better job now and there are 4 or 5 roos out there that need to go, Just trying to build up the courage again.
    Lucky you for having someone to help you out the first time!!

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    How did you break is neck? Just snap it? I have a BR cockerel that may end up as a fryer if he doesn't find a home.

4. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    well i didn't break his neck.... i tried the way i was shown when i was a kid by grabbing his head and spinning it. yea that didn't work so my neighbour took him by the legs at hit his head on the barn door. that worked good! he didn't make any noise. just flapped his wing for a min and that as it and no blood at all .

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I like the no blood part!

You just take by feet & slam head into door

so, at this point I assume no noise means he is dead is that correct?

6. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    yea i know it sounds inhuman but it worked good for me there was no noise he just opened the barn door and swung him hitting his head on the edge of the barn door causing the chickens neck to break. and hung it up side down for the blood to run to the head i should of took pictures but i wasn't think about it. i even had my 2year old and 4 year out there and they thought it was funny!

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

ok...so his head hit the edge of the barn door, or his neck itself? This might be a better option (no noise, no flailing around). It sounds rather quick and painless...in comparison to other ideas I have heard of.

8. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    his head hit the edge of the barn, but he did flap around. anything you kill no matter what will move because of the nerves but he held himt till he stopped once he stopped we hung him up side down. an so on and so on..

if i can get another rooster i will film it and post it some were i have four more birds to catch that this lady gave me. hopefully i will g back next week. once i do i will repost it. so everyone can see.

9. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Quote:well once his neck is broke he is dead his eyes were shut never made a peep. i don't think he even knew what was going on

10. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Several of us have been discussing kill methods in "gruesome kill question." I use the broom handle methods myself because I can do them alone with very little trauma for me or them. The actual killing process is the worst part, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by