I did some random candling, and one egg looks different?

EverythingZen

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
AU
i braved the mozzies and mumma Winsor tonight and pulled out 6 random eggs from under her. 5 were clear, but the 6th had what I am assuming is an air sac with a dark mass in the rest of the egg.

Sorry for the thousand questions. I think we are clutching at straws here, hoping for just 1 (at least!) baby duckling lol. She's still got around 16 - 18 eggs in there. Should I pull out all the definite clear ones? Does this egg look like it's growing something though? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. This is week 3 or 4.
IMG_2084.JPG

That's not the greatest picture, but I'd say that one looks ready to pip internally if it hasn't yet. Shadowing in the air cell is typically when the inner membrane is pulled down as the chick begins to absorb the egg contents, just prior to internal pip.

Oh wow! Thank you! This is so exciting.
I'll pull out the clears tomorrow.

Another question, can the nest get 'too' hot? Just yesterday it was 43c here which is 110 Fahrenheit. It's a stinker of a summer already. She's laid them in a very closed in spot. I worry about her and the eggs in this stupid heat.

It never gets that high here, so I'm no expert... I would say yes, as temps over 105 for an extended period of time can kill developing embryos. I'm wondering if the hen has some method of cooling them. Is she still actually sitting on them? I'm thinking she might be an insulating factor. I know human baby skin to skin contact helps regulate their temperatures...

She's laid right up flush against the wall of our semi inground pool, so the wall she is lying against ought to be a little cool. She's also got the shade of the pool deck above her and a very shady tree that keeps this spot pretty cool. It's possibly the coolest part of my whole place lol.

Agree with the other advice offered. Since the original pic isn't the greatest, I would just like to add to look for blood vessels and movement within the egg, if you candle again. agree that's a big clutch, so extras you can remove would be helpful to her.
If it comes to quitters, she will likely move those out herself, so if in doubt, leave it with her.

And just make sure she has access to fresh water. She will regulate the temp, even if it seems too hot for us. It's freezing here now, so I'd love a little of that warmth! Lol

Best wishes for ducklings soon!!

Back
Top Bottom