I did something stupid....separated my top rooster for 3 days now they are fighting

tmfineg

Songster
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Gallatin TN
I separated my top rooster and two hens to give them antibiotics. I have 2 roosters and 13 hens. The roosters are both docile and prior to this got along great. We raised rooster number 2 from day one. Top rooster is about, 2 nd one is 1 yr. 2nd rooster is bigger than 1st by two inches or so. They are both large standard size.

It has been 20 minutes since I let top rooster back in fenced area. They are in a fenced 1/4 acre wooded area. No real damage has been done yet. Both look to have nicked combs. They are both getting tired. Will one give in soon? I have not intervened but it is breaking my heart :(

Try putting them in their coop at night when they go to bed, see how they do in the morning. Lets hope they forgot about it. I have 4 in one pen, they fight here in there, lucky havent seen the worst yet !

do you have apple cider vinegar handy? spray everyone with it, either now or a bed time. Sometime this helps diffusing squabbles because then everyone smells the same.

(don't need to soak them, just a good spray - i put mine in an old windex type spray plastic bottle)

You can also use masking tape to temporarily dull the tips of their spurs if you think that would be useful. There is info on that & a few other ideas on the Rooster Spurs page on the site linked in my sig.

I pulled out the defeated rooster. I found him in the corner with the other rooster on top of him holding down. So sad..

No, he is pretty beat up. Bloody comb and eye is swollen shut. I am afraid to put them together while I am at work during the day this week.

I don't know much about rooster behavior, but when he backed down it seemed like it should be over. What is with the extreme bulling? I am hoping when I reintroduce him in a week or it will be better. I will try spraying them with apple cider vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom