I did the UNTHINKABLE! Gave scratch to the chicks! HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenguysmom, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Please help! We have raised chicks twice before but this is the first time I let our broody hen raise the babies. She and the two babies are in a large pet carrier and I never gave it a second thought about putting scratch in the cage. We were so proud of how she taught them to eat until...... HORROR..... last night I read someones post about the dos and don'ts of rasing chicks and then read about impacted crop and put 2 and 2 together and realized that they have been eating scratch for at least a week and they are only two weeks old. Sure enought this morning I looked and they both have a bulge on their chests. What can I do?

They are two weeks old.
    They were pooping normal until today when it turned light green and liquid-y.
    They are not having trouble breathing.
    They are still eating chick starter but I stopped giving anything else and I removed the pine shavings that was their bedding (oh, the broody is not going to be happy).
    I added some ACV to thier waterer.
    I gave them some applesauce.
    I tried the olive oil and water thing and couldn't make the chicks open their mouths.
    And finally I tried massaging the bulges.

WHAT ELSE? ARE MY CHICKS GOING TO DIE?

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I honestly don't know what you should do. I know they need grit if they are going to eat anything other than chick starter.

could you give them straight grit? to help digestion....I really hope a pro chimes in to help you. I would hate for something bad to happen from a mishap

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, but I'll bump ya.

Sounds like they will be fine... I wouldn't worry.... but let's have an expert have a say so.

a little massage really helps a lot.

4. farmerjay

farmerjay New Egg

Mar 8, 2009
    Are the pine shavings a bad idea?

5. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    throw some chick grit in there and in the meantime, get to massaging those crops!

6. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    the bulge on their chest is their crop it bulges when it full but give it a bit of a light squeeze and if it is hard then it s impacted squishy normal when my chicks eat alot their crop get big and squishy

7. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I hope that your babies are ok....

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Don't panic (now).
    I think the bulge is the full crop - no problemo. I would switch them back to the starter & discontinue other food.
    You can panic tomorrow afternoon if you want. However, I think all will be fine tomorrow.

(Breathe.)

9. Lucky Ducky

Lucky Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Take a deep breath and relax. I don't think your babies are going to die. Do the have any access to grit, sand or dirt? We've got broodies outside with their babies and they've eaten some scratch but they have access to dirt. Some of them were only a few days old when my grandma gave them and their mom scratch. All of our babies are running around and are totally fine. I think you are probably safe.

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

pine shavings are fine.... that' definitely not anything to worry about. If you give them some dirt I'm sure they'll be fine.

If you massage their crops remember not to push up, but rather to squish gently.

check in the morning after they've had no food overnight. They'll probably be totally fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by