I didn't buy them

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Alabama ee, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I am not sure why ...but I am feeling guilty.

I have decided to buy a couple more birds to add to our small flock. Today, I went out to look at someone's red stars. When I got there, I noticed all of them had sore feet. Not really bumps, but the skin was peeling a little. They also had a sort of bad smell. Infection? Maybe it was because of being on 3 feet of poo, no shavings? They did seem to be the right weight, etc. I started to get some a couple of times while there, but was a little worried about bringing something back. I do have a place to quarantine, but still...

I guess of part of me feel a little sorry for the guy. His health was not too good.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    That's NASTY!! 3 feet of poo? Gross! I would report them to animal control. [​IMG]

3. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    The smell or something there actually made my throat and eyes burn. When I came home, I actually took my shoes off and threw them away. Then, I took a shower. It has been a few hours since I was there, my eyes are still itchy.

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Keeping a HORSE in 3 foot of poo is neglect. You might want to just tell them you noticed.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    ARG! Trust your instincts.....you did the right thing.......gotta protect your existing flock.....

6. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    The way I noticed it was 3 foot is that he had them in a horse trailer. When he opened the door, you could see the build up.

Thanks everyone. I am feeling a little better about not getting them.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    They could die in such horrid conditions! I hope you called (or will call) Animal Control on them. [​IMG]

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    The foot deal is scaley leg mites. They get under the leg scales and suck blood like other mites.
    The smell is just from being in poor conditions, may or may not have infections, good chance at it if they are that bad off.
    The scaley leg mites are easy to fix, WD 40 sprayed on them, vaseline with Sevin dust mixed in, or Ivermectin wormer all will kill them quickly.
    However, if they are kept in that poor of condition, I'd surely pass, no need to run the high risk of bringing home a disease.
    If you, be sure to quarentine them well away from your other birds for no less than 30 days, if you see a problem, reset the clock and start over after it's cured before introducing them to your current birds.
    Best to do this even if they new birds seem, look and smell healthy.

9. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank your lucky stars you didn't buy them. I'm sure your flock would thank you, too.

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    That smell was probably ammonia. It will burn your eyes for a while, and since the poo was that deep, I feel pretty sure it was ammonia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by