I didn't even cry!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jgervais, Aug 2, 2011.

1. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    *high five*

3. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Great job. That was a nice looking dish.

4. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    Looking forward to taste testing our "extras" is a few weeks. Looks like you guys did a great job

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG]

Excellent post! Great job to you and the hubby!

AND..... I wish you a speedy and healthy delivery!!! You're almost having a BABY! Now THAT'S exciting!!!! I can deal with processing a chicken now, but the thought of birthing a human.... [​IMG]

Please keep us updated on your wee one!

6. Afghantzi

Afghantzi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Kudos on the idea to use a traffic cone as a kill cone.. Very adaptive.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Yay for you! Glad things went so well with your first one, usually you learn things from each session to make the next ones go even faster & easier. You might want to separate your "candidates" the night before, removing access to food before butchering. It makes for less chasing & catching right before they Cross The Road.

This is my processing station, made from a reclaimed metal yard swing frame and 3 different materials used for cones:
    [​IMG]

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Congrats! Posts like these help me believe I can really do this when the time comes!

9. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Nice. I like it. I need to get one of those set up. I like the recycled swing frame idea. I need to keep an eye out on Craigslist. Right now, I have a cone attached to a tree.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    We have bulk trash pick-up every week in our neighborhood, so I frequently find these frames set out. You may find them as the summer ends and people's yard furniture wears out. Try your local FreeCycle too, many folks may just throw these out rather than posting them on CL. But the cone-in-a-tree works well too, or along a fence. Just so it's raised up where you don't have to bend to do the work. I find it also helps to have those hooks between the cones. There I hang my scalded birds by their tied-together legs for easier plucking with two free hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by