1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I didn't know ducks roosted...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried to introduce this single Muscovy to my other ducks, 2 Khaki's, 1 Hybrid 300 and a Runner drake. I didn't want to introduce a single duck but I didn't want to pay for 2 cause he was asking too much. Anyway the duck decided to move into the chicken coop instead of the duck hut.
    I didn't know ducks would roost. Here is the Muscovy on a roost that is about 3+ ft high and I didn't place it there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obviously I'm still new to owning ducks. Is this common? Should I make a roosting area for the Khaki's and Runner. I figure if they wanted to roost they would've moved into the coop like the Musc.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    aw, how cute is that! I don't know anything about ducks, so forgive me if my ignorance is showing, but that is a funny picture! Do all ducks roost?

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Nope, typical domestic mallard derived ducks dont fly, perch, or roost but its not uncommom for muscovies.

4. Kadjain

Yeah, the Musc. flies better compared to my Khaki's, Hybrid and Runner. I clipped one of her wings but she can still get up there. She's pretty cool [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Muscovies do roost and fly very well. They are a different species of duck than the others you possess.

In the wild, muscovies are a migratory bird.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. Kadjain

No wonder why she moved into the chicken coop then.

Coolness thanks!

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    All of my Muscovy's roost, most nights on the top roosts in the coop. During the day they fly up onto the bale pile which is about 15ft high.

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    muscovies are tree ducks like wood ducks so they are happy to roost if they can

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My Muscovy drake used to roost all the time. It was quite fun to see him fly way up to find a roost.

10. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    oh that is so cute! I just asked my husband if ducks would roost today and we both thought they wouldn't. You showed us! I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by