I didn't know how much I'd like chickens

Turnbullmusic

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Bridgeport, WV
My son wanted chickens. We live in WV and moved out of the city to the horse and cow farm area of town. I LOVE eggs, so we decided to buy some chickens for our son, who was 14 at the time. We started out with eight hens of different breeds, and then acquired a rooster from the neighbor...didn't know he was a rooster at the time. They were all young chicks. Three have been taken by either hawks or a large racoon we later caught. So now we have five hens. I've learned to really like them. The hens are ok, but I love the personality of our rooster. We call him Stanley. We just recently bought six more pullets, and have added two ducks to the mix. It's so interesting to get on this web site and read about other roosters and hens when we have a questions or problem!

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, everyone. This is a learning experience. I have a light brahma who went broody and is just about to hatch two eggs. One is hers, and one is from, we think, our Rhode Island Red. The eggs are hatching today, so we're pretty excited, but not sure how she will do with them. I have to say, I've read a lot of posts on here about broody hens and hatching eggs and you all have taught me everything I know so far!

Back
Top Bottom