1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I didn't think a little egg would be so heavy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nausicaa, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    [​IMG]

One of my hens laid her first egg today, this was also my first time harvesting an egg! So I took it to the refridgerator feeling like a giddy school girl..
    I had a very strong feeling my hen was going to lay an egg, she demanded to be let back into the coop, after flying up and perching on the coops window sill.. the hens were all out in the garden free-ranging. I left the little chicken door on the coop open so she could go back outside when done.. The whole time she was in the coop she
    started clucking very loudly at the entire garden(yelling the whole time at the other hens and goats).

I'm so excited though!! I could not believe how heavy this little egg is... It feels much heavier than any of the eggs I've ever bought at the grocery store..
    My hens are just approaching 6 months of age, is it normal for their first eggs to be a little small and heavy? I imagine that they are smaller when the hens aren't all the way grown yet.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. BCchick

BCchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2011
    If it's heavy, it may have a double yolk in it.
    I had one that was very heavy, turned out it had 3 yolks in it! Crazy!
    But yes, it's normal for their beginning eggs to be small. Mine have been laying for 3 weeks now and their eggs are just now starting to get normal sized.

Congrats on your new egg. It's exciting!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Remember the ones in the grocery store are like....WEEKS, if not months old. YUK!!

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    it might be a double yolker if it is heavy

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    My first (and only so far) was also very heavy. The shell was hard as a rock, and when we cracked it open and held it next to a store bought egg, well, no comparison. The store bought egg was mostly water. And look at the difference in color. Our egg on the right.

[​IMG]

6. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Oh wow, now I can't wait to check it in the morning! Also can't wait to see if there will be any more eggs tomorrow... I hope this wasn't a one time thing where the hen decides to go back to free loading with the others. [​IMG]
    My household goes through a -ton- of eggs, especially when I get to bread baking... everytime I've been in the grocery store and have to buy eggs.. I start muttering about the freeloading hens.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Quote:I LOVE the color difference!! Can't wait to compare the taste difference on mine too!!

8. Nausicaa

May 1, 2011
    Las Vegas NV
    Quote:I had never heard of that but yeah... thats just nasty ~_____~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by