I didn't think it would happen!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RAPmom, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RAPmom

RAPmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    My very good mommy hatched her first egg last night! Now what? I didn't think it would happen. She still has 5 eggs under her, how long should I wait for those? She is in a dog crate and its cold here, she is in my mud room, I usually let put her out for a few hours during the day to poo and stretch her legs, should I still do that? Do I need to get chick food? Can I touch the baby? Oh wow! I am so excited! I just didn't think it would work, the baby is not hers, she is a buff orphington and this little guy is black.
    Any suggestions welcome!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congratulations!

You can feed mom and chick commercial chick food-the little guy or gal will appreciate crumbles, and you can allow the new family supervised excursions for a short period of time-unless the weather is wicked cold. Otherwise, if the mud room is safe you can spread newspaper (or a tarp) and cover with pine shavings. The other eggs may hatch out in a day or so. Staggered hatch is common but I usually toss out any unhatched eggs by the fourth day.

Due to bad weather I made a Cardboard Corral in the garage for my youngsters and they did very well. I had a nice coop ready for them but the weather was just too cold. So I made this in my garage. The outside temps ranged around 30-40 degrees F. I did supply two heat lamps but discovered one kept the chicks warm enough- 75 degrees. I used three large cardboard boxes, a tarp and lined the tarp with pine shavings or shredded paper. Although they did taste the shredded paper none of the birds suffered from any problems-so be careful of using shredded paper with colored ink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely not fancy but I raised the chicks in this until they were 5 or 6 weeks old.

Then they graduated to a gogo pen in Chicken Fortress

[​IMG]

The pen kept the youngsters safe from the older chicks.

[​IMG]

When the chicks acclimated I put the older chicks (three) in the pen and allowed the younger ones to explore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raising chicks is fun but does take some time to keep them clean and happy.

[​IMG]

Eventually my crew graduated to the big out doors

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RAPmom

RAPmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    Wow! Thank you! I can do similar in my garage. Will momma keep them warm or will I need the heat lamp?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats!

Momma hen will keep them warm, but if it's really cold in there you can hang a heat lamp in there as well. Mom will enjoy it and it'll keep the chicks warm if they wander off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by