I didn't use hardware cloth.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PirateGirl, Apr 6, 2018.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I just had to get it off my chest.
    I didn't use hardware cloth when I built my run.
    Everyone talks it up all the time, and I chose not to use it.
    My run construction instead focused on the most likely predators in my area.
    That is all.

There, I feel better.

dunnmom, puffypoo22, apryl29 and 12 others like this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What did you use? What are the predators you built for?

3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Okay you didn't use it are the birds alright all alive still ?

4. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Crossing the Road

Jul 21, 2017
    NOLA
    We have only used hardware cloth for the broody box/ hospital box. We do have problems with possums, but we use a hav-a-hart trap and have not lost a single hen who was locked up properly at night. ( Now, just to be honest, I sleep with a window open just above the coop/ roost area, so I can hear if the girls are getting antsy during the night and can go out and check on them). Hope you feel better after getting that off your chest. :hugs As Penny says as long as they are safe and happy, it's your choice.

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Yes. The birds have not yet suffered from a predator attack. I know one day they might, but really the most likely predators are the local coyotes, and I'm fairly confident the fence will keep them out, so I sleep well most nights. I do get up and squint into the darkness when I hear the coyotes close. @Ursuline Chick I do not sleep with the window open, but did specifically position the coop where I can see it from a window, I totally understand!

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Could be worse.
    Most of mine don't even have a run.
    And almost all my breeding pens have chicken wire :eek:

7. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Some people free range, some build Fort Knox, most I suspect are somewhere in the middle. Any protection is better than no protection. I know that is not always the popular opinion around here. I used welded wire for the run, something like a weasel could get in the run. My biggest concern was the weather, the next was coyotes, the next was hawks. The girls do get locked in their coop overnight.

8. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    Exactly @The Moonshiner ! Just sparking some discussion at the time of year when people are building coops for their new flocks or working on coop maintenance for their existing flocks. There is not one right way to house your chickens. If I thought the only way I could have chickens was to build a fancy coop that looks like a miniature version of my house on a concrete foundation with buried hardware cloth and an electric fence (against the law in town limits), I never would have taken the leap into owning chickens or I would have gone bankrupt. I provide them shelter from the elements and a level of security and fresh food and water and bedding and they provide me breakfast and entertainment and lower my blood pressure.

karma23, deepbluesea, Perris and 7 others like this.
  9. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I think my worse problem is going to be raccoons on the ground and Hawks from the air.

I'm attempting to build Fort Knox. I will let all know how that goes...lol

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've had runs of poultry netting only, poultry netting over cattle panels (with a strand of hot wire low) and poultry netting with hardware cloth on the bottom three feet. I don't consider any of those to be entirely secure....but had/ have had no losses. I assessed my perception of the threats and weighed it against my willingness to risk losses.....and balanced management accordingly.....ie considering my current run sufficient for day security (it is within a yard fenced by 6 foot solid fencing, primary day threats are aerial ...run is securely covered) and lock up my coop, which I do consider secure at night. My netting/panel/hotwire run was inside a fenced livestock pasture with multiple strands of hot fencing and was a hoop style so it was covered. The first was my earliest flock some 30 years ago..... located on our large farm, no immediate neighbors, the flock ranged dawn to dusk and our lack of losses there was pure luck looking back. I've been aware of and accepting of the level of risk each setup came with.
    My advocacy for using hardware cloth is for those in high risk situations(ie it will be the ONLY barrier between bird and known threats(like an unfenced yard with known roaming neighborhood dogs) or situations where someone is not able to cope with potential losses.. or when someone states an unrealistic understanding of the security of their enclosure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: