I didn't want chickens, really.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by santim5665, Sep 14, 2016.

1. santim5665

santim5665 Just Hatched

Sep 14, 2016
    Hey from MI! I am new to anything chicken related. I didn't really want chickens. I didn't ask for chickens and I didn't go buy chickens. But here they are! The neighbor got a bunch of chickens and a rooster and once they let them out, they would not stay home. I tried running them off, scaring them off, walking em thru the woods back to their own house and they just kept coming back. I even told the neighbor if my dogs got loose they would likely get and demolish a chicken long before I could get to it...their response; yeah we know; we will just get more. UGH!! finally one chicken just refused to go home, no matter what happened or what I did, she would insist on living here. I now realize their living space was not safe and coyotes have gotten all of the chickens except for the 2 that I finally bought from the child because he couldn't catch them and if he did they would bite him (they still don't do this with me)...so they live here. lovely husband has built them a good safe shelter for at night and we are working at getting it entirely enclosed/fenced. I have grown to love them with their very individual quirky personalities and think it so funny when I need to lay down to rest during the day and get up to find one of the free ranging chickens sitting in my bedroom window (outside) and only gets up and leaves when I get up from my rest. I have done a bit of research, one is a buff orpington (this i am sure of) and other a kind of scrawny looking rhode island red maybe? I let them out during the day, they have a variety of food stuff i have bought for them, we give them lots of food scraps and seem to be happy healthy girls. We love animals here, really. we live in the country and have provided a home for multiple cats and dogs who are lost and abandoned, including the aforementioned neighbor's cat (for years) just finding out a month ago it belonged to them but will not let them come near him...yet shows up daily for kisses and food at my house [​IMG] .....but I have never lived with, near or even held a chicken prior to this. I am a 51 year old city born and bred female, whose husband convinced her a home in the country would be wonderful. He was right...but it has been an adventure to say the least. So, now if you have continued to read this far, what do I need to know to continue keeping the girls happy and healthy? or since they chose where they were gonna live are they gonna do pretty much all the caring for on their own?
    thanks much,
    never adopted by hens ;)

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Welcome to BYC from SC!!! We are very happy to have you here!

You are going to enjoy having chickens!!!! If your chickens have a problem, you have a question, or you just want to hang out, just go and post in the forum! :)

Basically, giving your chickens fresh food and water daily, keeping the coop clean, and spending a few minutes a day playing with them, your chickens will be the happiest and healthiest chickens you ever saw![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

You will get the chicken math going, I can just tell! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] That was quite an introduction ... Welcome to BYC! Sounds like those chickens were pretty lucky they refused to leave!

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Wow! That was a great story about how you got into chickens. Glad you are a more responsible chicken keeper than your neighbor. A great place to pick up some great chicken knowledge is the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It will set you up in great shape for your future chicken adventures!! Best wishes. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. The Learning Center will give you the basis for your chicken education. You may also want to join your state thread - there could be BYCERS in your area that would be happy to mentor you.

I think animals know instinctively that you provide good homes & care. We hear so many complaints about folks like 'you neighbors,'. I just cannot understand why people think they want a certain animal and then do nothing to insure it's good care. Either its a fad to them or a novelty that quickly lost it's charm. I don't know why they can't muster the energy to try and properly rehome them through advertising.

More power to you. [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. santim5665

santim5665 Just Hatched

Sep 14, 2016
    Herre I thought I was doing pretty well just knowing which end of the chicken was which and you bring up "chicken math"....I have no clue what that is. what is "chicken math"? I'm thinking it's not something the chickens do...

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Chicken math, you have two chickens now..right? Soon, you will get that coop predator safe..or maybe you will also get the second coop or run ready, or..you will be working on getting that third coop and run ready.... because you see, the chicken math got out of hand. You start with two, and somehow end up with....30...or even more! Ahh, so many breeds to check out!

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

Maybe this will help with explaining "chicken math":
    [​IMG]

Have fun!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by