I discovered chicken math today

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken kitten, Apr 2, 2016.

1. chicken kitten

chicken kitten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    I started planning to get chicks last month. I wanted to really take my time and planned to get them next spring. Unfortunately, when I reached out to a neighbor to ask how her chickens were, I discovered that my village was working on the wording of the ordinance to no longer allow chickens, therefore if I wanted chicks, there was no time to wait to be grandfathered in!
    I've been cramming research as much as possible, and yesterday I drove an hour away to come home with my new babies!
    I had planned on 3-4 pullets... I didn't know chicken math. Now with 6 pullet bluff orpingtons, 3 "pullet" ISA Browns, and 3 straight run silkies (I THINK), I get it! It's the darn buy six rule! And my daughters were with me! And the sky was blue, and they were just so cute, and really I've heard chickens die easily at this age so I should over but, right? Right?
    Except that now I'm terrified one will die. Dear lord, it's like I gave birth to these birds. It's currently 4am and I've checked on them twice. So far. I'm desperate and still ignorant and I realize the combination is dangerous, so please spew all the knowledge and advice you have at me, and know that I apologize in advance for all the questions I'm about to ask!

Question 1: Please don't hate me. I hate myself. In all the research I did, somehow I missed that chicks needed to be kept at 85 degrees. My house is currently boiling. Yes, yes, I did. I am hearing my entire house to 85 degrees so that my precious babies are comfortable. As soon as my partner in crime comes home I am planning to make the trip in to town so that the rest of us can breath again, but I was thinking, we have a 10 gallon tank with a hood light. I keep my house at 70-72 normally so would that work for them? It just seems like such an easy fix! I might go fish it out of the shed and try it before I go all the way to town.

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    :welcome
    I'm sorry you had to discover chicken math so early!

If you have bought chicks, I'm guess that you also have a brooder and a heat lamp. The ambient temperature isn't a big deal. Turn on the heat lamp and leave them a few hours and see how they react. If they are too hot they will be crowding at the corners as far away for the heat as possible. Too cool and they will all be crowding under it. Avoid both of these things and look for an imbetween.

Once you have found a good median temperature for them, move the heat lamp so it is only covering one side of the brooder. The heat lamp is supposed to act like their mother so it is ideal that they can explore without 'her' and come back when they need warming up.

I recommend you read the articles I have linked below on raising chicks :
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

The Learning Center is a great place for information, it has articles on all sorts of poultry topics. Also, if you have a question about something in particular, use the search box to help you find previous posts about the subject.

You are going to have so much fun with those little ones! Just know, they won't stay little long so if you don't have a coop built yet, better get on it!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! :frow

Don't feel bad, chicken math happens to the best of us. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    an aquarium will not hold that many for long. Whatever you do use - make sure it has a wire top, so they get some air. It will also keep them from flying our or falling out, and protect from any household pets.

Folks generally use the largest, tallest Rubbermaid or similar brand clear containers to use as brooders. THe wire top, and then heat lamp outside of the brooder and securely hung to what height is necessary for their warmth.

6. chicken kitten

chicken kitten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2016
    Yes, I just put them in the biggest tub I could find and now they seem to be just fine!

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Lol! You got to love chicken math.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by