I do not understand people! and how they can lie.

Holly O

Songster
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Bergen Norway
Well I had a post on here before.
NOW again.

I called and was told no Ordinance against chickens, By Town Ordinance officer.

Was told he was misinformed and their is one. BY Township Supervisor.

Was called and Told We are allowed 2 or 3. By Township Supervisor

I figured this was the end as I asked for a written Ordinance and never received one.

Well neighbor left for 3 weeks all was quiet.

Now today The officer came by and verbally told me I have 7 days to dismantle the coop and re home my chickens elsewhere.

During the conversation he kept saying he doesn't know who I was talking to but they are wrong.

I kept telling him their names and Title.

He ignored that information, as he insisted I am wrong.

He stated they all had a meeting and I was to remove Coop and Chickens.

My husband is now working on it... again for me.

I'd ignore the officer. What is he going to do? You were told it's legal. How are you to know he knows more of the ordinances than you. All he can do is write you a ticket for a court date.
That'll get you some more time even if you were told the wrong information.

Quote:
laws are not written that say "two or three"

just 'who' had this meeting ? town officials are not kings and do not make policy on the fly. get the ordanance in writing. good luck.

I'm thinking NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING!

I have received NOTHING in any type of written word.

And Yes I'll be doing "whatever" to delay any action on my part with dismantlement or re homing.

Check to see if your township has an online page (most do these days). You can look up ordinances and laws there. Check to see when the next meeting is, public is welcome, so definately attend! Whatever you do DON'T dismantle your coop or get rid of your flock....FIGHT for your babies!

Sounds like your neighbor may be at the root of this if all is quiet when they are gone....talk to others in your area and see how they feel, maybe they will support you!

Here are three places you can look for the ordinances where you are:

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/
http://www.municode.com/
http://www.amlegal.com/library/

See if you can find your city/town on one of them, and find the exact wording in it that pertains to raising chickens. You will probably find it under "Animals," sub-section "Livestock" or maybe just "Livestock." It should say something about what kind of poultry are allowed, how many of them, how much room they need, etc.

Fight This! I had to about my goats and it was hard but I didn't give up and still have them. Sounds like if there is a law, it is too vague. Stand up for yourself and the rest of us!

Oh I'll not Back down!

I've looked on line ... NOTHING about our area.

The meeting was with the Township officials.

Last edited:
p.s. If you move your coop and chickens you will have to fight a different battle. one in which you are trying to start something new. If you leave things as they are you may quailify foer a "Grandfather clause" since they existed prior to and ongoing.

Back
Top Bottom