I do not understand...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by duckncover, Dec 2, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I just don't understand my mom. She won't let me have chickens or quails but she told me to fix my incubator and she'll buy eggs. Now I'm not being ungrateful or anything but I just have no luck with eggs and my homemade incubator is broken. It flickers when you walk passed it and isn't holding a good temperature. It also needs a new thermometer and hydrometer. I don't have a job but she will buy me all this but it doesn't make any sense. 2 hens will cost like $20 if I get them from someone OR like $10 if I buy chicks at my farm store (but I don't feel like waiting till spring.) Now on the other hand a good thermometer with hydrometer functions at Walmart wil be like $10-$15 and after shipping eggs will be at the least $20...so what gives?!?

I don't know guess I'm just venting...

I also out of a total of:

8 call duck eggs
    12 ring neck pheasant eggs
    30 button quail eggs
    and
    over 30 coturnix quail eggs

I've only hatched 1 duckling and 3 button quails...

[​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Maybe mom is trying to get you to try, try again. It may be the education of incubating correctly that she is wanting you to have.
    Mom's are evil that way.
    You could always ask her.

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    So if she won't let you have chickens what does she think is going to hatch from the eggs?
    I would do my best to fix the incubator and try again. Granted it is heartbreaking when the hatch fails but on the up side it is so amazing when the chicks do make their way out of the egg and start learning what the world is all about.

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Quote:That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote:If I ask why she won't let me have actual chickens she will defiantly say something like "If you're not happy with the eggs than you can just go without anything." . I know her all to well. [​IMG]
    I also doubt she wants me to try again. She doesn't like the fact that I want chickens (or animals). I get the "Why can't you just be like all the 16 year olds and listen to music" or similar whenever I talk about chickens (or animals).
    I'm ready to tell her that the majority of "16 year olds" are either doing something illegal or or things a whole lot worse than being a pet lover. I'm probably bluffing but someone should honestly tell her that. She also doesn't understand than my liking animals isn't an "addiction" (that's what she calls it!) It's MY way of life. She compares it to a drug addiction and acts like it's something wrong.

It's all just stressing me out...[​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Your mom is expecting way too much from you. She needs to respect your hobbies and realize that you are who you are. She sounds like a control freak to me. Try having an honest talk with her and if she says something like you told us she would, then say something back to her. Be bold, but not cocky or forceful. If she refuses to answer, say that you know her better than that and ask her to tell you the real reason.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Wow. That is a bummer.
    So, learn all you can about incubating. play by her rules, and hatch some chicks!
    Good luck. I guess animals are addicting. There are worse things.

7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I think I answered my own question. Sometime back that she told me that the only reason she's letting me incubate eggs is that she knows that it probably won't work. I just remembered that...oh well.

8. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    sounds to me like mom is interested in hatching eggs....see if she'll buy you a new incubator!

9. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    Quote:Well fix that incubator read all you can read on incubating and watch her face light up in shock when you hatch those eggs....

Yeah, tell her that having an animal addiction is a LOT better than some other stuff I know of that teens do.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hehe... what'll be really amusing is when her lack of faith in you backfires.

IE if you get as many eggs as last time, and thanks to YOUR hard work and research every single one hatches.

[​IMG] Welcome To The Jungle Mama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by