i do not understand?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dmccann, Jan 20, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Ok i have a broody hen and have trying to find fertile eggs(i have a possible from a person on this forum),anyways my question the local people or local people who knows people that has hens and roosters,say they have no eggs.I do not understand this,i know my egg production has dropped,but i still get pently of eggs,what am i missing here?Thanks

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Maybe what they mean is they have no extra eggs. I personally have no eggs. My girls were just at laying age when the winter came on very very cold and they shut down. So I have no eggs. Some folks are starting to have eggs for sale on here, but no where what it will be like come spring.

3. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Oh maybe that is it,i only have 14 hens ,i now get 10 to 13 eggs a day,really cold here.They keep 4 to 5 families in eggs.I was only looking for 4 eggs.If the lead here does not go thu maybe i will ask an Amish farmer.Thanks for the reply.

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:I am in NC so it would take about two day to get to you but, if you would be willing to pay for the shipping (flat rate 12x12x8), I will send you about 2 dz.. I've been setting them aside for the last 4 days and then last night realized they would be about 15 days old before I could actually set them in the bator.. I would much rather give them to someone than not have any chicks hatch because they were too old... I can send them out today.... You can look on my signature and see what I have.. The chicks would be mutts but my chickens are great layers (except the 3 month molt!)...

Goddess [​IMG]

5. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Wow,only problem my husband would shoot me deadfor 2 doz!My girls are no special breed either.I now have another broody hen!So if no one hears from meu know what husband did,put me to the curb with the hens!

6. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I offered 2 dz because I wanted to make it worth your while on the cost of shipping... I hate to see someone spend almost $20 on shipping for 6 eggs... I don't know.. Maybe I'm a bit TOO frugal at times.. I don't understand when people spend anywhere from $50 to HUNDREDS of dollars for a dozen or two of eggs to only have about a 50% hatch rate when you can spend about $1.80 - $2.50 for sexed chicks and if they all survive shipping, end up with MORE chicks than you purchased... I know hatching is fun and all but dang... [​IMG]

Goddess [​IMG]

7. dmccann

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I agree shipping costs r killers on everything u send.

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Plus spring is comming and you could sell the extra chicks.

9. GreenGoddess

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:Exactly!

Goddess [​IMG]

10. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    pdsavage, I am still housing 4 roosters from the group I got from you! I have one hen and she lays well!
    ETA: My husband doesnt want any more Roosters!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by